Leaking gearbox

cjscos

My 1.4 petrol 2002 is leaking oil from the gearbox.
It is leaking at the bottom of it on a little cover with torex screws on it, that slightly sticks out of the box right at the bottom underneath . Can I fix this gasket myself?

Probably.

Have you tried tightening up the Torx screws? If the problem is simply that they've worked loose over time, it may help. Otherwise you may need to drain the gearbox oil, replace the gasket, then refill the gearbox with new oil via the gear selector housing.

Changing the gearbox oil is a good thing to do since the probability is that it hasn't been done before.

a2.jpg

heris a pic but its not my gearbox!

its coming from the hump part on the right of the two black parts on the gearbox?

i am worried if i take it off there may be some sort of spring/selector behind it i might not beable to put back on....

The driveshaft flange oil seals are the most common source of leaks. Double check the oil leak does not originate there and finding its way onto the cover.

Cheers Spike

where is the drain plug on the 1.4 petrol and where is the fill plug? (if it has one)
i will try and tighten them tomo to see if it stops it?
i have looked and it def only from the place on the pic..... strange.....

well i have found out that the cover it is leaking from is the selector shaft cover. i presume the bottom of the shaft goes into it and holds it in postion at the bottom.

but can anyone tell me where i should fill the gearbox oil from? there is a something just above the nearside driveshaft thats look like it might be it but not sure?

A2 gbox oil069.jpg This may help - although the instructions specify a spline bit which is not needed on a TDi gearbox

Cheers Spike

Back