Leaking Windshield!

a2denmark

Hello again :)

Well it freezed over last night for the first time this season but come to my surprise there was a bit of a wet headliner and little puddles of water on the door handle and dashboard. So my best guess is that water leaked in through the top corner of the windshield...

A little dissapointing but I'm going after the dealer to fix this since I just purchased the car 3 weeks ago!!

Anyone else experience this?

Kevin

It's quite likely that you've had a replacement at some time, as the factory originals are very well sealed.

I've not heard of another failure of this sort before.

Cheers,

Mike

cheapest way of fxing it is probably to crack the windscreen and then get your insurance to replace it. Although you may have to pay a small excess it will be cheaper than 2 hours labour for some one to remove yours and refit it espeacilly if you have a poor fitting windscreen. Claims for glass dont affect your no claims bonus

Ok, I will call the dealership where I purchased it tomorrow and try and make them replace it since it couldn't have developed this problem in 3 weeks!!

Thanks for the tips and advices!

Check down the bottom corner of the winscreen to see if it genuine. If you get a new winscreen insist on getting genuine. i have a none genuine and its a poor fit so when i have some time ill have it replaced witha genuine glass

Had my windscreen replaced and insisted on a genuine screen fitted.I'm insured through Audi Insurance and any parts that need to be fitted have to be genuine Audi.The mobile windscreen fitters came out and replaced the windscreen, but when i checked it before signing there job sheet they had fitted a Pilkington screen and tried to tell me that this was a genuine screen.Told them that it was only genuine if it had the Audi markings, made a note of this on there paperwork, stating that i was not happy and had them counter sign the paperwork.When i looked closer, the windscreen did not fit the contours of the roof line and the top corners stuck out way proud of the pillars and roof.They appologised and told me that the fitters had brought the wrong screen with them.When the manager picked up my car to take it to have the screens changed, even he couldn't believe what a poor fit the pattern screen was.
If you insist on having the genuine Audi screen fitted, your insurers will only pay to have a pattern screen fitted due to the cost of the Audi unit.You will have to pay the difference yourself.
This is the reason why i keep insuring my A2 through Audi insurance.At least i know that all repairs will be done by Audi, using only genuine Audi
parts.
Its worth checking what your insurance will pay to have fitted before any "accidental breakage" occurs!!
Cheers, Brads

Whilst I understand your position, I recently had a quote from Audi (Zurich) Insurance and their quote was unbelivable, over £300 more than my current policy.

Incidentally, when I last had need of a replacement screen, it was done at Autoglass in Manchester, who fitted a genuine Audi screen, brilliant job and all for £60 (I have comprehensive cover and that's all there is to pay).

Cheers,

Mike

Whilst I understand your position, I recently had a quote from Audi (Zurich) Insurance and their quote was unbelivable, over £300 more than my current policy.

Incidentally, when I last had need of a replacement screen, it was done at Autoglass in Manchester, who fitted a genuine Audi screen, brilliant job and all for £60 (I have comprehensive cover and that's all there is to pay).

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, mine was replaced by Autoglass in Stockport.When i originally booked my car in and asked for a genuine Audi screen i was told that i would have to pay the £60 excess plus the difference in price between the pattern and Audi glass, as most insurers will only pick up the tab for the lowest cost replacement screen.I had to get my insurers, which was then underwritten by Equity Red Star (now Zurich) to authorise them to fit the Audi screen.
As for the Audi insurance premium, i have found it not too bad at £370 for this years premium which is fully comp with £100 excess, no claims protection and business use.
Tesco insurance, which is underwritten by UK Insurance (which my wifes car was insured with), didn't come in much cheaper and i found them to be pretty competitive on price.I thought that it was worth the extra just for piece of mind, that any work and parts would be geniune Audi.
I have 12 years no claims though and a clean licence, although just missed a ban on the A34 bypass by 2mph; 98mph in a 70mph section on my VFR800 some years back.Thank goodness for the traffic slowing me down !!
Cheers,Brads.

That's interesting Brads.

When I went to Manchester Autoglass, I asked if it was a genuine Audi screen and they said yes, adding that they only ever used genuine parts and also that there wasn't a pattern part available for the A2.

I wonder if these places are run as franchises as the attitude of the 2 branches seems too different to constitute a company policy.

As for the insurance, you've got a great deal there. I'm with Direct Line and am paying just over £230 fully comp, business and pleasure, that's with 6 years NCB (I've got a lot more bike NCB, but they won't take that into account) and a clean licence). The Audi Insurance quote was over £500 and just not worth it to me. Interestingly, when I told the telesales woman the difference, she said that they could get the premium down to £470, as if that would entice me!

Hey ho,

Cheers,

Mike

So I called the dealership and told them about it, they agreed to take it in wednesday to look at it. Fortunately in Denmark used cars are covered for 6 months from the time of purchase from the dealership, used. I took plenty of pictures and will bring them with as well.

Like you said, I will insist on an audi genuine replacement, even if I have to pay the difference.

New british word of the day for me "windscreen", although I don't know what you are screening? hehe

Thanks!

Last edited:
Good to see your English is coming on leaps and bounds.
When we had our windscreen replaced, Autoglass did it and I had a great conversation with the fitter. He said that although they are no different to fit than other bonded screens the positioning of the screen is crucial and that it can slip from the header rail whilst curing.
He explained that on ours he had used blocks at the lower edge to position it correctly and had duct taped the top of the screen to the roof whilst the bonding agent cured and ask us to keep this in place for 7 days. The fit is great, no creaks and less wind noise than the original as the gap between the screen and the header rail has been reduced. I guess some of it depends on the fquality/experience of the fitter and not just the originality of the parts.

Good luck with getting yours fixed

Jonathan

Good to see your English is coming on leaps and bounds.
When we had our windscreen replaced, Autoglass did it and I had a great conversation with the fitter. He said that although they are no different to fit than other bonded screens the positioning of the screen is crucial and that it can slip from the header rail whilst curing.
He explained that on ours he had used blocks at the lower edge to position it correctly and had duct taped the top of the screen to the roof whilst the bonding agent cured and ask us to keep this in place for 7 days. The fit is great, no creaks and less wind noise than the original as the gap between the screen and the header rail has been reduced. I guess some of it depends on the fquality/experience of the fitter and not just the originality of the parts.

Good luck with getting yours fixed

Jonathan

Great that's wonderful to know!! Actually by American (an am American) standards my English would be getting rusty by incorporating "british" words into my vocabulary :D

(now a little american) I'll keep y'all posted 'bout tha windshield yo! txs

No insurance company is aloud to refuse you of new genuine parts in the event of a claim be it for glass or other parts unless you agree otherwise. You could get 3 quotes for getting the orginal glass fitted and then let them choose which you use.

Brads
I have the pilkington glass you mention and the fit is as you describe.

I also found audi insurance to be expensive.

So taking a look at the bottom corner of the "windscreen" I noticed that there is the little Audi logo so it appears that the original is leaking! (unless it was replaced with an audi original) So I will just request that they reseal it rather then replace it, the window is in perfect shape, no chips or cracks anywhere to be seen.

Skipton01 said:

Same here Mike, sounds good in the Audi Driver advert, they might give you a nice free car but as I don't actually intend having an accident and it's a lot extra to pay for the small extra bits the policy offers, although I did contemplate taking it and 'loosing' my key to get spares as we all know the price of those but even that wasn't enough to swing it! bloody rip off IMHO! stayed with Direct Line, not the cheapest but I've never had any problems with them plus all those times when I've been driven into seem to count against you even when you didn't make any claim on your insurance? WHY?

as a follow up, I went into the dealerships own workshop and they re-glued part of the little seal around the windshield where it was leaking, so hopefully all is good for now!

Back