Leather/Cloth pics - please help

rktec

Guys/Girls,

I am looking to buy my first A2 but they are at the opposite ends of the country . . .

Im really torn between a specd out 2001 Tdi SE with Grey Pearl Nappa (47k miles), or a 2004 tdi (90) Sport with black jacqard satin cloth (8.5k miles).

They both have their merits but having looked around I see different interpretations/images of what is Grey Pearl Nappa, and Black Jacquard Satin (some must be noted up incorrectly) . . . and the dealers are just saying anything I want to hear to get the sale!

Does anybody have examples of the above or the materials page from the brochure of the right year???

Please help . . . I need to be quick.

Many thanks in advance.

Believe me, Im soooo almost there . . . but definately do not want the diagonal striped jacquard-satin material I have seen - but it would seem the later models have a different kind of cloth under the same name (apologies if that offends some who have it, but its just not me!)?

Can anyone clear that up for me please?

(And at the risk of going off topis for a sec, what would you expect to pay for such a model/year with basic spec? definately going to try and haggle this one :))

Cheers,

It may vary with the model year, but I believe that:
Grey Pearl Nappa = Plain grey leather
Jacquard-Satin Cloth = Black cloth with a diagonal grey stripe.

If the seat pattern offends, get some seat covers.
The real question is do you want a sport (with the very hard ride) or the
SE (with the slightly hard ride).
All things been equal, I would favour the younger TDI 90 (and think about
changing back to 16" SE wheels as the ride is hard enough - but then, that
is just me)
GBMSU

Yeah, thats pretty much what I thought - but then I keep seeing different kinds of leather and every 2004 model I have seen with the jacquard satin cloth doesnt appear to have the diagonal stripe . . .

I think a low milage 90 sport is definately the way to go, and if it really is that hard (have you seeeen the roads in Edinburgh!) then I will change wheels - had been looking for SE, but prefer the sports seats and dis to a boot cover and front fogs?

Mind you, the 2001 model has it all, dis/opensky/fogs/sports seats, leather, bose/changer etc . . . aaargh!

If you prefer Sports seats and the DIS to a boot cover and front fogs.... you
have answered your own question, the TDI 90 it is then. The later A2's have
other small advantages over the 2001 models, such as a bigger fuel tank.

Never driven a Sport model, the dealer warned me it was a hard ride when I
went for a test drive, and recomended a SE instead, and I took his advice.
GBMSU

its a difficult choice as the 2001 SE has it all bar sports suspension, so is the logical choice and ticks all the boxes, however, the 2004 model is just too good to miss being a 90 and having low milage, the clincher is the cloth material, if it is diagonal then forget it - I have contacted the dealer who talks round the question but cannot actually get a photo as its a car which is 'due' in as a trade-in shortly, and if Im not in quick I'll loose it :(

so, this bring me back to the question - does anyone have any definitive guidance as to jacquard-satin material on a 2004 model tdi 90 sport?

Thanks,

Just had a look through my brochure for my 2004 and there is no entry for Black Jacquard Satin?

Not that this helps in any way!

hmmm, I wouldnt be surprised if all the ones I had looked at (even the ones on the Audi used car locator) had be mis-described . . . but there were more than a couple like this - looking like a matrix/cirrus type cloth but noted as Jacquard - so there must be something going on here, a dealer conspiracy perhaps?

I have checked the brochures and it would appear that the Jacquard trim was used upto and including Model Year 2003 for the Sport model. For model year 2004, the Sport model had Matrix trim as standard. The TDI 90 was introduced in Model Year 2004. (Production started week 45 2003 - i.e. November)
So in short, a TDI 90 with Jacquard trim is not supposed to exist.
I am still trying to work out how to post a scanned image, so just for the moment, no pictures.
GBMSU

thank god for that . . . it seems to make sense, and obviously those who are responsible for puuting such cars on approved used car websites (audi included) don't seem to have been informed :)

Anyway, this seems to clear it up for me thanks - hope you manage to post the pics, but in any case Im grateful for your help (bloody audi dealer couldnt even tell me!)

Cheers,

(btw, and Im chancing the limits of this thread now - but anyone know which is the most accurate of used car price indexes, Glasses/Parkers/What Car etc?)

Back