LED Brake Light Lamps?

TFG

A2OC Donor
I've read a few threads on here alluding to problems when fitting LED combo brake/tail lamps, presumably because of a lack of circuit resistance.

I'd like to get a pair of these:

because they look nice and compact and they get good reviews. They are described as CANBUS friendly but I'm not sure that's how the A2 does its checks. Is it worth giving these a try - I don't mind being the guinea pig :) - but not if I doomed to failure!?

I'm more interested in cutting open the complete rear light unit and mounting a complete LED array for each function. I've got some spare units to practice on and the end result could look very impressive! Too much to do elsewhere, at the moment, though .....

David

When i did mine, (no DIS) i just soldered a ballast resistor to the conductors of the bulb holder on one side. DIS models, I have no experience of.

With no did in my FSI, I have all leds in the rear lights, non canbus type.
It did take a while to find some nice really bright led bulbs.
Have same in front indicators so had to modify the Indicator Relay.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

It did take a while to find some nice really bright led bulbs.
I've worked out how to split open the rear lights. It's not going to be easy, but I'll get there. What I intend to do is to install a multi LED array for each function. Brakes/rear lights/reversing/fog. So it would be very helpful to know where you sourced your LED'S? I'm not talking about individual bulbs here .... no, I mean small, high intensity individual LED's.

David

I've worked out how to split open the rear lights. It's not going to be easy, but I'll get there. What I intend to do is to install a multi LED array for each function. Brakes/rear lights/reversing/fog. So it would be very helpful to know where you sourced your LED'S? I'm not talking about individual bulbs here .... no, I mean small, high intensity individual LED's.

David
David, mine were not individual leds. They are led bulb units, unusually encased in glass like a filament bulb.

Back