LED Rearlights

mlarner

I've seen several posts on replacing front sidelights with LEDs, but has anyone any experience of fitting LEDs as rear/brake/reversing lights? I fancy using some (380/382) from www.ultraleds.co.uk. I'm already using them on a 1979 TVR but that has a very basic wiring loom!

Presumably replacing indicators bulbs with LEDs would lead to problems with flash rate etc.

Mervyn

TBH, LED rear brake light may not actually do anything. A2 rear light cluster is reflector based, so the LED beam pattern needs to match a bulb or it may not give a satisfactory result.

As for the reverse light, I rely on it for illumination when parking at dark places. So unless the LEDs give equal or better brightness (not colour), I wouldn't bother. May be a 3W XR-E P4 fronted with a wide dispersion lense ;-)

Also, my sole reason for LED front side light is to stop the plastic tube being browned by tungsten bulbs. I don't particularly like the LEDs, they are too white and doesn't colour match halogen or even factory HID colour. Unless you have high K HIDs matching the LEDs, the little white dots stick out like a sore thumb, looking very uncoordinated, especially on mine with halogen main beams. my 2p.

Just to add if you have cruise control i believe this wouldn't work as it will as above show blown bulb (brake light), i think anyway

Phil

Quite true Phil and Humps is correct too - no need for LED replacements - they cause more problems than they're worth.

Cheers,

Mike

Quite true Phil and Humps is correct too - no need for LED replacements - they cause more problems than they're worth.

Cheers,

Mike

Now you see i do listen and take things in lol, it was either the last time i was down at yours or on here where i heared you say about this ;),

No i remember it was when you fitted cruise and you said about if a bulb blows it will disable the cruise and i think you said about LEDS then

Phil

Back