LED sidelights

juzcymru

Does anyone know if these type of LED sidelight bulb (http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-tower-leds-xenon-white-p-1545.html) are:
A) Any good?
B) Cause any problems in melting the sidelight cover?
C) Cause any bulb out warnings on the driver DIS system?

I noticed you can get the LED tail light too, these seem good but i have read that they interfeer with the DIS saying there is a bulb out, i was wondering if anyone knew of a kit available with perhaps a resistor that prevents this happening??

A longshot i know, but i do like the LED effect and think it would be quite a subtle 'un chav' modification for Eggy Peggy! :D

Cheers
Justin.

The bulb warning function didn't trigger when I had LED bulbs on my sidelights, but it is a possibility.

However, unless you can find an E marked tail light bulb, do NOT fit LED bulbs at the rear. The reflectors in the rear cluster are set up for filament bulbs and will not give out a noticeable enough light from LED bulbs installed. Oh, and yes, they will trigger the bilb check unit and resistors get far too hot to be of use (I know, I've experimented).

The only exception to this is reversing lights, as these can be considered less critical and as long as you get a bulb that has LEDs all round, it will be acceptable.

I know what you are saying about a subtle mod and believe me, no-one is more passionate about LED lighting on these pages than me, but in a safety critical application such as a tail/stop lamp, stay with the legal alternative.

Attendees to the Curry Social will be able to see the latest lighting mods to Tank, which again, involve LEDs.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the comprehensive advice Mike, think i will stick to just the front sidelights and give them a try.

It's not an expensive modification anyway so i'll keep my fingers crossed the scary BEEP on the DIS doesn't happen!

Cheers
Justin.

Thanks for the comprehensive advice Mike, think i will stick to just the front sidelights and give them a try.

It's not an expensive modification anyway so i'll keep my fingers crossed the scary BEEP on the DIS doesn't happen!

Cheers
Justin.

Hey Justin,

How did these LED's work out for you? Did the DIS have any issues with the LED bulbs and which ones did you go for?

Thanks.:)

I took the plunge and got myself a set of these Ultra LED's. Superb little bulbs, such a lovely white/blue illumination...dammit I also want HID's now! ;)

Well I've taken the plunge and finally ordered me a set of HID bulbs, in the end i thought you get what you pay for and hopefully ordered a better quality set than the ones you see on eBay.

I went for the 35W Pro Plus anti glare 5000k version from www.hids4u.co.uk so hoperfully these will give a better quality beam than some of the others available. Should be fitting these soon.

Has anyone got any tips for fitting these, i have taken the headlamps out before and have some limited experience of electrics?

Ill get some photos up once they are fitted.
Justin

They arrived today, and thanks to the HID guide on this website i managed to fit them in a few hours. I used the aluminum beams behind the lights to mount the ballets with some self tapping screws which is all very neat.

I tested them first as recommended in the kit and they fired up as described. I went for the 5000k versions as i wanted them looking as 'factory spec' as possible, but am really happy with the colour they produce, not too blue with a really crisp white light. One thing i've noticed, the ballasts seem to whine not that loudly but you can notice it, they don't interfere with the radio so i'm not that bothered.

I'll get some photographs on there when i can to show you :)

Thanks everyone for everyone's comments on the subject, it has been a valuable resource when researching which kit to go for.

Cheers
Justin.

Good work - yes the ballasts do make an audible hum/buzz if you put your ear near them. Glad to hear it went well for you and have no RFI issues. Did you put in the LED sidelights too?

Hi Dan, yeah i even impressed myself fitting that this afternoon, i expected it to be more difficult than it was!

Glad the whining doesn't just apply to my kit. I did go for some LED bulbs and have had them fitted for about a year now, they are great but always looked odd compared to the standard yellow halogen bulbs, finally they look the business!

Have u got any pics of your A2, would be interesting to see. Ill get some photos on here soon, once i've washed all the salt off it and i have a black instead of grey car!:p

Back