Less tyre popping - tip

rlc

I've got the 19" alloys on my A2 1.6 FSI, which I've had for 4 years. Never in my life have I had to change tyres on a car so much as with this one!

Must have changed them at least 8 times! YES EIGHT!!!...possibly more...

Anyway...last year, went for my MOT at a local MOT site, as it was the first year without the 3 year warranty and I knew Audi would be getting prepared to rip as much cash out of my pocket as possible.

No surprise, I was shown the inner wall on my front right tyre, which was almost a few threads of string away from killing me on the road - Mechy stands there in amazement simply shaking his head side to side, then reccommends I go change it at a tyre place round the corner. So off I went...

Whaddya know...? They're out of ones that'll fit. So the guy suggests putting the rear wheels on the front(cos they're fine), then putting new ones on the back as they had those in stock.

Thought it would be wierd, but had no choice, I'd taken the day off work just to get the MOT done...needed it done THAT DAY!

So 30 mins later, 2 rear wheels on the front and newbies on the back...was driving along back to MOT place - brilliant...felt a little strange at first, the whole car felt stockier and more well balanced, the control was fantastic.

14 months on, and I've only changed 1 tyre since...which was one of the rears that had been put on the front.

Don't know why there's such a difference, but such a simple thing has certainly saved me a few bob, and for that I'm happy!

Any pictures of your car with the 19"s on? What have you had done to the archs/lining to fit them? The car was not ment for 19" alloys so this may not help tyre life.

yeah, and what do you mean with tyre popping

and what does it do if you change front to back and vica versa???

yeah, 19" alloys? I'm more interested what it looks like on the A2 than the tyres! What size do you run them on?

Back