Life saver...

Keithb

I'm currently legging it about in my '69 Elf...
IMG_7243.jpg

...because the A2 is poorly. :(
I had my 'Stiff shift' looked at, but the job has become a lot more invasive than me or the Stealth lads had imagined it would. More news when it returns on Saturday :).

Wow, thats a tidy looking Elf you have there.
I'd be happy if either of our current cars looked that good. You must have put a lot of time and effort into it.

My other car

I agree, that's a very tidy Elf. Do any other members have a classic back-up? This is my TR7.

signature.jpg

Thanks chaps, I've had her for ten years and only ever really tidied bits up that have gotten a bit old. I did quite a bit of work back in '98 when she was my daily driver, but she spends most of her days asleep under dust covers, and playing out in the summer sun.

However as 2009 will be her 40th anniversary I'm going to invest in a full restoration (and maybe a conversion to dry rubber suspension). So hopefully in 18 months time she'll be fairly mint. :D

Oooooooooo now TR7's were the car I always wanted as a kid. A chap around the corner has one covered up in his garage and I'm always slowly walking past trying to sneak a peak. Graham yours is a stunner. :)

Thanks Keith, although I must admit the photo makes the car look much better than it really is! It's been "Zeibarted" from new , so it's pretty solid, but the paint is not the best.

In addition to the A2 1.4TDI, I run a '70 280 SL, a '86 Capri 280, and a '96 840Ci. No prizes for guessing which is the most economical... Actually, thinking about it, I wonder which is the least economical of these three; I wouldn't be sure; the Beemer does 22.6 mpg average, but I have never measured the others.

Last edited:
I was actually looking at an 8 series a couple of weeks ago but running costs scared me off. I very nearly brought an M5 - E34 style (G reg) last weekend but bottled that as well - I just wouldn't do it justice with my short journeys.
So I've been boring and gone for a 528SE instead - should still be fun if not really a classic.

On a side note, the insurance quote for the M5 was £370 for me and the wife, fully protected, with all the gubbins. I was expecting double that......

Apart from A2 I have a Willys Hotchkiss M201 Jeep. The French continued with Willys Jeeps after WWII, upgrading and adding to them. Mine has a 1942 chassis and engine, was rebuilt three times by the French and was in service until 2000 by which time they had fitted a rollbar and seats belts (which I removed because it felt more dangerous wearing a static seatbelt). Unusually unlike nearly all the others mine was never fitted with indicators. Its a total contrast to driving the A2.

:):) WOW now that is an A2 contrast. I wanted a Willys Jeep when I first passed my driving test...kind of glad I ended up with a Nissan Cherry, but there is something 'uber' cool about ex-military classics.

Do you have any other pictures? It looks amazing. :):D

When I bought Rosie, the salesman asked what I was currently driving because "A2's tend to sell to a ... er... certain sort of person, somewhat eccentric, if you see what I mean..." This was my daily driver:

shropshire.jpg

She's relegated to the garage now, although I still reckon she's better to drive. :)

Now that Moggy is a beauty! Such pretty motors, have you had it long? Another Issigonis masterpiece! :) Superb. :D

Back