Lighting Mod!!

john-wingnut

Have just finished fitting curb lighting and footwell lighting, so thought i would pop some pics up to show you all my hard work lol!!!

I have fitted red lighting in the front footwells and also under the front reats, so light the rear footwells.

I have used a toggle switch to control this lighting, so i can have it controlled by the convenience unit, always on and always off!!

Curb lighting fitted to all four doors.

nice job john keen on doing this myself but electronics isn't my bag.i reckon i could manage to do the foot well lighting by switch only but don't feel brave enough to start messing with the convenience unit. i like your led door illumination i bet that really lights the road up.only thing i can see that would be a legal technicality would be the fact that the door lights show white to the rear of the car-legally should be red.could you change a section of led to red ones? good job though fancy doing a how to for others to follow i certainly would be interested.
thanks for sharing it with us john all the best mikee

Been looking at doing something like this after seeing Tank last year getting everything together so one big install, looking at doing the vent scrollers as well after i saw it posted on here

Cheers Phil

PS i thought the back facing lights had to be red

can easily solve that one by moving the strips further down so they only point at the ground!!!

That way they dont face the back of the car!!

Completely forgot about that!!!

Also i didnt really have to do that much tinkering with the convenience unit, just two of the wires.

John

Saying that, a guy i work for owns a Jag,

On his interior door cards, he has lights which face backwards when the doors open and they are white, or standard bulb yellowy white!!!

Surely they wouldnt be there if it were illegal as they are not aftermarket, they are standard on the car!!

Where can i find out about this little issue??

John

I changed the red door lights on my Honda to blue lights (clear lenses and blue bulbs) and they've gotten through about 5 MOTs without any issues at all.

Yer, i think the rule only applies to when the car is in motion, as yours doors are only going to be open when the car is stationary!!

John

you may well be correct john i would never think something like these would ever fail an mot--it was just my observation. i must admit all the cars i have ever had that have had door lights/puddle lights have either only illuminated the floor or had a red part to light red to the rear.
still say though you have done a really nice job.well done

reversing lights...

Yer, i think the rule only applies to when the car is in motion, as yours doors are only going to be open when the car is stationary!!

John

:) Interesting observation...

...does this include (white) reversing lamps, which ARE used whilst the vehicle is in motion? :D

Cheers,

Ian

Yes, it does!

Basically, the colour of the light denotes which way the vehicle is going: If it's red, then it's going away from you (this is the same for brake lights, side lights, fog lights and reflectors) and if the light is white, it is coming towards you (headlights, main or dipped, sidelights or reversing lights).

The only exception to this is the occasional continental vehicle with yellow headlights.

Cheers,

Mike

Number plate lamps...

:) mine are white too... (rear that is) when I'm driving forward.

cheers

Ian :D

Last edited:
Correct, but they're not visible from the rear as they are shrouded, as are all number plate lights. They serve only to illuminate the number plates.

Cheers,

Mike

If it's red, then it's going away from you (this is the same for brake lights, side lights, fog lights and reflectors) and if the light is white, it is coming towards you (headlights, main or dipped, sidelights or reversing lights).
Except when you're reversing : the headlights are still white :)

Back