Long starting time for my TDi

allypug

A2OC Donor
I've read a few threads on this.....
Not the first time I've had this issue, The car takes approx 10 seconds cranking (approx 200rpm on tacho) before it chugs into life. Not all the time tho, seems to be if left overnight or after a days work for the drive home.
No fault codes come up on my cheapo code reader, I've changed the camshaft sensor just now with no change on today's first startup, I understand it could also be the crank sensor?
I have a few months ago replaced the tandem pump with a new Bosch one, car seemed fine for a couple weeks after that before it happened again.. coincidence perhaps?
One thing I have noticed is when I first replaced the tandem pump, the engine would shut down very 'cleanly', It now sort of 'chugs' before the engine stops...
Could the shut-off valve be causing vacuum problems which in turn cause the long starting times?
I'm a bit stumped!!

Hmm, No codes on vcds? Is there not a return valve for the fuel tank to investigate? The ecu reads the crank and cam sensor ut can run on one sensor, using defaults. May be worth check the cam or sensor again.

New cam sensor made no difference at all, while cranking over the rev counter works so I think that indicates the crank sensor is ok, so thinking something vacuum related is happening

It needn't be the pump. There's a lot of (old?) rubber tubing!

RAB

Yes!! thats gonna be my next check (when it stops raining) Thanks!
But I'm not sure why a vacuum leak should affect starting. A Lupo 3L has a non-return valve incorporated into the fuel line to prevent fuel flowing back to the tank. I'm not sure if A2 diesels have such a valve. The part no. is 165201542B.

RAB

Back