Chat Longing to buy an Audi A2

wonjo

A dealer tells me" rear seats only fold flat" another "it has chain not a timing belt" and another tells me I can buy one new "for about 17k to 18k" and this dealer wants £900 above Parkers price. My wife and I are divided about mileage when they are above 50k, this makes choosing difficult giving our budget which is between 7k and 8k, maybe a little more for a Sport. None of the dealers are prepared to negotiate a price except of course peanuts. its so frustrating and it does not help when i'm not wanting to part with my money unless I feel a bargain. The credit crunch - I should be in the driving seat on both issues!!!

Dealer is talking guff on all fronts. The car was discontinued in 2005, so you cant buy a new one. the TDi Sports list price was around 18k at this time though - so maybe thats what he/she meant?. The rear seats fold and can be removed, theres a split seat or bench seat option as well as you maybe know already. And its a timing belt. Change frequency is on this forum if you do a search.
For between 7 and 8k you should secure a lovely A2. Be patient, and you are also quite right - this is a buyers market in the current climate if you have money to spend. Theres a nice looking 54 plate Tdi 90 Sport at 'Claires Autos' advertised on Autotrader just now for offers around £7500 with 45k on the clock. This has been around for some time so if its clean it could be a bargain. Theres also a lovely 1.6FSi Sport for £7k on an 03 Plate with lots of options like Leather, Bose and Open Sky. Good luck with your search - it will be worth it as the A2 is a cracker! :D

PS Parkers Price Guide is not very accurate - theres a link to Glass's guide on the forum:

http://www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/s...ntId=peugeot&laf=glass&nuvvpath=b&sessionid=0

Last edited:
thank you Murdo for your advice. The dealer chap who said it had a chain was Claires cars, I drove it(third one Ive driven)it went ok on very short trip, but the lady had been using it so was quite tatty in and out.gave a bad impression. I thought it quite funny that some of these second hand dealers telling me things I knew to be absolute rubbish. One really thought you could buy a new one now.The Claire cars chap was very insistent when i asked if was really a chain. IM AFTER A DIESEL ONLY, BECAUSE OF ROAD TAX AND FUEL CONSUMPTION. As we all know a fool and his/her money are easily parted:).

These guys Know the pros of buying one of these cars,its the same as a Lupo diesel or a seat Arosa tdi.
all cheap to run and these guys know it.
Are you buying without p/x?

As for 50,000 miles why are you drawing a line there?
I would go higher and at least you know the Engine belt and water pump should have been done by then.
I'm not normally conviced by low milages in older cars,Chugging down to the shop and back kills turbos rather than the lashings of miles my one will have done on the motorway.
Newcastle Audi had a nice TDI,05 plate low miles but it will cost.

longing to buy an a2

Thanks Chubbybrown, what you wrote makes good sense. I'LL have a look at the Newcastle one but a long way to go. and yes we had been offering p/ex.

Sounds like you have a similar budget to what i had back in March. I also wanted the diesel for economy as i have a 110mile round trip each day so the 60mpg+ was ideal! As i wanted a Sport model with Open sky, this made the search harder but after much searching it eas fine - just keep holding out till you find the right one.

Echo the previous comments about low milages too - i drove a 30k 02 plate tdi and it was really sluggish and lumpy feeling, suspect turbo issues here. Mine was on 67k and arranged for waterpump, camblet and tensioner change and all has been well since - with a consistent 58ish mpg (and im not light on the foot!)

Things to look out for though - make sure the compressor & repair fluid are present in the boot for the spare wheel as with all the tools etc - if they're not then this will allow for negotiation!

Thanks Davos1983 .Yes we must be patient. They do keep popping up, but sometimes the other side of GB:). This owners club is so important to us new converted that without it and the expert advice I would have either made a mistake or completely put the A2 out of my mind.That im sure.

Back