Looking for a new VAG

Hello All,

I've owned 13 VAG's with 5 still in my immediate family from T5 to Fabia. I've often looked at the little A2 as an alternative but never quite taken the final step. Now that all the latest TDI's are prone to DPF and EGR failures I'm once again looking.

I'm not sure which model petrol or diesel to go for, it need to be able to cope with 4 miles commuting daily with the rare occasion of 120 mile to parents! Fuel economy isn't as important as reliability. I've looked at the pros and cons of each model the 1.6 interests me but I'm leaning towards the 1.4se. Any pointers really welcome -or even offers for sale.

ps I'm selling a 1.6TDI Audi A3 (the EGR just broke and with it £900)

Have a browse through the "How To" Index thread, there are some links to buying advice there.

If reliability is high on your list of priorities then that does swing the TDI into favour. We have 7 tdi A2s in the family and we have had at least two for the last 15 years, all without major problems. I also recently bought a tdi A2 with 228,000 miles on the clock and it still runs as sweet as a nut!

So I am naturally biased towards a TDI (75 is probably all you need)

Some will comment on the fact that doing a lot of small journeys in a TDI is not ideal, but my wife just does the school run / shopping trip in her TDI for the last 15 years and I take it out for a blast every couple of weeks and it is fine!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Toucanspeed and welcome to the club,

I agree with Steve. Based on what you've said, I'd suggest the 1.4 petrol (75bhp) or the 75bhp version of the 1.4TDI. Whilst it's a nice engine when working well, the 1.6 is widely regarded as the least reliable of the A2 engines.

The 1.4 petrol has a few minor foibles, but it's an engine VAG have used widely in other vehicles. Personally, I don't find it the most interesting of engines, but it warms up quickly and is ideal for shorter journeys and general urban use.

The 1.4TDI 75bhp is widely regarded as being the most reliable of all the A2 engines, but they take a long time to warm up and are geared for longer, extra-urban journeys.

Ask as many questions as you like. There aren't many things that the folk around here like more than talking about A2s! :)

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for the quick responses! My own preference was a TDI but only if the right one come along. There are more lower mileage 1.4 petrols available so was tempted to go that way.

2-3k ish but flexible
That should get you a very usable TDI.

Set up a search on Autotrader and get updates automatically every morning.
That os how i have spotted most bargains.
And search fior "Audi A2" in the cars section on eBay choosing diesel fuel as part of the search (if you want a TDI).

Steve B

For a daily 4 mile commute, with an occasional 120 miles I would look at the VW Up!/Seat Mii/Skoda Citigo.

I can't see how a TDI would fit the bill.

PS or get a bike for the commute; or a good pair of training shoes and a waterproof, his vis jacket :)

Looked at those but not exactly in budget. They are basically a lupo which my daughter has. Your right about the tdi though.

I'm just a bit shy of ones nearing 100k. There's one going for £1400 on gumtree but has 140k miles.
With the youngest A2s being 10 years old you will not find many sub 100k ones.
But they really don't age, mechanically, bodily or chassis wise.

As i say the 228k one I bought for £300 is in great condition and not showing its age mechanically at all.

steve B

Last edited:
Go for a 1.4 TDI 75. As long as you do the usual cambelt, water pump and servicing it will be pretty much bulletproof.

Even for short journeys, it will be ok as there is no DPF filter to block up like on the newer Audis.

Diesel price is about, or if not the same as petrol prices at the moment.

I would advise buying one that has Climate/Aircon and fsh.

Don't worry about cars over 100K, it will do double that.

If you want a low mile showroom example, be prepared to pay around £5k.

To the Op, I'm not sure if you have seen the spotted section of the forum but there have been posts today about a lovely looking 1.4 petrol in Bristol. Very high speed. With full votex kit, heated grey leather etc and also in red which is quite rare. Priced at £2250 I think it looks a nice example. Would be nice to see it go to a club member.

The 1.6TDi is known to be a basket-case, add in the emissions scandal and it's got the appeal of warm used underpants. .

Oh blimey that doesn't sound good! What issues are you aware of with the 1.6 Chris? My dad has this engine in his Skoda Roomster and I was hoping it would be a good servant for a decade. You know your motors so this worries me.

Back