Looking for an A2 as first car..

poltheball

A2OC Donor
Ayup,

This is my first post on the forum, just thought I'd say hello!

I'm a student looking to buy my first car; oddly, after several weeks of searching (not buying til mid May, but I've known I'll be buying then since March), the A2 has popped up as a viable first car. The alternatives were a Suzuki Wagon R or a Mercedes A-class. I'm a keen mountain biker so bike-carrying capacity is important, whether it be inside the car or on the roof/towbar.

I'm looking to buy a decent petrol example for less than £2k; I'm keen on a 1.6fsi as they're more economical, and, er, nippier for the same VED and insurance outlay as the 1.4.

Any tips as to what exactly to look out for at that price, and whether I'm right in wanting a 1.6 over the 1.4? Diesel is a no-go as although the tax is much cheaper, it adds a hefty chunk onto my premium.

I've had a look at a relative's 1.4TDi and I'm keen on the interior etc, and it certainly seems to be a decent low-maintenance car whilst being a bit different (don't see too many on the roads up here).

If anyone's selling one in the Glasgow area, or up in Dundee, or even down Coventry/Birmingham way, I'd be interested to have a look!

Cheers

Hi and welcome. The A2 really is a tardis which always surprises any passengers I carry in mine. I am surprised about the insurance issue with the diesel, must be the tyre scorching performance of the turbo!! However tread carefully with the FSi, whilst they have their fans and are no doubt one of the sweetest A2's to drive they can often be quite an expensive can of worms. Might be worth trying a few other insurers before giving up on the TDi? You will also need to be patient in finding the 'right' car and don't expect one to pop up in the next 2 weeks otherwise there is a danger you will buy a money pit.

PS if any car does not have digital climate then it does not have aircon, whatever the advertiser may claim!

Last edited:
Welcome. The choice is much reduced north of the border. You should pick up a half decent 1.4 for 2 grand but you may have to travel.. If you want to have a nosey at my car and have a first hand guide of the issues to look out for I'm in Prestwick and you're welcome to have a look and a drive provided you're insured.

With the seats out the back or one half out at least it's a perfectly viable mountain bike carrier.

Also look at the 'buying and owning an A2' sticky thread on the general forum which has lots of hints and tips.

Last edited:
Looks like it's got heated seats too but no mention from dealer, unless I've missed it!!
Great car it seems!

Yep. If it's a genuine 2 owner car and the mileage checks out its amazing what a new set of wheel centres and drying out the headlights may do for this car. It's got no fog lights so it may be an early base model with some spec. As well as heated seats it's got sports steering wheel too.

£2k is the very top end of my budget as it is, can't really stretch any further at this stage, so although that 1.4 looks lovely I doubt they'd happily knock 20% off :(

Welcome. The choice is much reduced north of the border. You should pick up a half decent 1.4 for 2 grand but you may have to travel.. If you want to have a nosey at my car and have a first hand guide of the issues to look out for I'm in Prestwick and you're welcome to have a look and a drive provided you're insured.

Thanks very much for the offer - I don't want to put you out though! As I say I've already had a wee gander at a relative's diesel, and had a chat about some issues (his ARB bushings went, which I believe is fairly common?).

Might be worth trying a few other insurers before giving up on the TDi?

I've been using Google compare to get quotes- I was quoted <£700 for the petrol versions, and >£1000 for the diesel. Might need to shop around a bit, but by the looks of things diesels carry a premium in price as it is, and my budget only scrapes the very bottom end unfortunately!

The other week I missed out on a 1.6Fsi with 60k on the clock, SE trim with all mod cons (panoramic roof etc) for £2k; was this the deal of the century? I've seen a few similar pop up, but am hanging fire til exams are over at the end of next week before arranging any viewings.

So the general consensus is leaning towards the 1.4 then, in terms of repairs/things that are likely to fall off?

Two cars I've got my eye on, both 1.6Fsi and selling for <£2k

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...0/radius/1500/channel/cars/model/a2?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...0/radius/1500/channel/cars/model/a2?logcode=p

I'd obviously need to check they're not gubbed underneath, and see whether cambelt etc has been done, but what else is likely to go badly wrong on a 1.6 that wouldn't on a 1.4?

Two good looking cars at good prices, worth a look.

Steve B

The fsi with body kit and open sky is in the 'too good to be true' category for my yardstick. So please be cautious if you pursue this. I'd expect a 2004 (53) car on this spec and mileage to be pitched at double the asking price. Please beware.

When you separate the wheat from the chaff don't be scared to pitch a low offer. Especially with hobby dealers where fast turnover is usually the priority.

Good luck.

A 1.6 Fsi is a much different beast to a 1.4. They need premium high octane fuel, often have coil pack problems to name but 2 issues. They can be good but are notorious wallet emptiers. Really do tread carefully before parting with your money. With a bit of care £2k should get you a sound tdi, so don't be put off by mileage, they will easily cover in excess of 200k miles.

I like the FSI with the Votex and OSS, but as Murdo says it seems to good to be true especially at that price.I recommend the 1.4 petrol as I have one and as long as you service it and look after it you shouldn't have any problems. I've had mine about 4 years now and so far I've only had to change a coil, 2 new springs ( pothole) and abs sensor, so to me it's a great reliable car. I can't say anything about the FSI or TDI as I have never owned one and never driven them and that's how it's going to stay as I'm afraid that I'm going to love them and get one ;) also get a silver A2 as it's the best colour for the A2 :)

Righto, I think I'm going to aim for a 1.4 petrol in that case. Should be buying in about a week, cannot wait. Here's hoping a suitable one is available, don't have a huge buying window before I'm in a summer placement that will need a car to reach!

Back