Chat Loose drive shaft shield

Raymie

Noticed that the shield over the drive shaft (RHS / OS) was loose and was puzzled why I could not tighten it by nipping up the fixing bolts.

After taking it off for a better look I discovered that there are metal inserts that prevent the fixing bolts form clamping down on the plastic of the shield.

Attachments

• drive shield1.jpg
    drive shield1.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 95
  • drive shield2.jpg
    drive shield2.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Mine was just the same some washers seemed to secure it. Don't want to sound like a fussy so and so but that covers the o/s driveshaft, o/s relates to furthest from the curb

Mine was just the same some washers seemed to secure it. Don't want to sound like a fussy so and so but that covers the o/s driveshaft, o/s relates to furthest from the curb
:) Yes, sorry , it was the RHS - i'm always getting my off side and near side mixed up especially when lying on my back on the drive way!

Washers didn't work as they only clamped the insert and the inserts are loose in the shield.

:) Yes, sorry , it was the RHS - i'm always getting my off side and near side mixed up especially when lying on my back on the drive way!

Washers didn't work as they only clamped the insert and the inserts are loose in the shield.
Would oversized washers do it?
I know mine was loose added washers and then on the next service noticed it was loose again lol.

I presume there is one on both sides. This may be mine looking "poorly"

IMG_6014.JPG

I guess they can't cost too much new but I suspect it's an order through Rick unless the Polo etc also has the same part.

I presume there is one on both sides. This may be mine looking "poorly"

View attachment 100488

I guess they can't cost too much new but I suspect it's an order through Rick unless the Polo etc also has the same part.
If so I immediately apologise but mine definitely does not have one on the n/s hope I didn't come across like a D1CK!

If you clamp the inserts in a vice and gently apply pressure it will spread them in the plastic and make the cover secure again.

If so I immediately apologise but mine definitely does not have one on the n/s hope I didn't come across like a D1CK!
Hi Howey,
you clearly are familiar with what's under the bonnet of the A2.

I appreciate folks with an eye for detail and believe you are correct about the LHS installation being different to the RHS !

It was not my intension to contradict what anyone says, simply to confirm or not if mine is the same shield. Logic would suggest both CVJs need a shield.

I'm pretty sure mine is the NS as I would be standing in front of the car to photograph the CVJ and the rusty bit is presuably the drive from the gearbox. But without being able to crawl under I defer to those experts here.

Noticed that the shield over the drive shaft (RHS / OS) was loose and was puzzled why I could not tighten it by nipping up the fixing bolts.

After taking it off for a better look I discovered that there are metal inserts that prevent the fixing bolts form clamping down on the plastic of the shield.
Try 2 x 3/4” tap washers drilled to suit bolts problem sorted.

Morning,

So for being late to the party on this thread. You’ve already had some advice on what you could do but thought I’d share what I recently done to stop my cover from being so loose.

I cleaned the cover to remove all the years of grease and grime (hot soapy water and brake cleaner) then whilst having the metal insert as central as possible I applied a 2 part epoxy adhesive around it, enough product was squeezed in to fill the void within the plastic cover.

Once set, the metal insert was no longer moving and refitted to the vehicle. It no longer flaps about and serves its purpose again.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

My shield was like that, rattling about and not able to be clamped up.
I used two washers, sump plug washers I think. Their ID was greater than the OD of the shield crimp but the washers still fit under the bolt head.
So the bolt holds the sump washer against the plastic, the plastic is held against the engine side of the crimp and the crimp against the engine. Rattles gone.
I hope that makes sense? Would have been easier to draw a picture.

I see on ebay it's called

Audi A2 Front NS Left Drive Shaft Guard Plate Cover 6X0407721A​

Seller wants £20 for a tatty looking one.

I've asked my indy if they are available new and at what cost.

Back