loses power when hot

tourangang

HI Guys

Our A2 has developed a strange fault - it starts fine, runs fine, and when cold say until it has been drive for 10miles or so, is fine, but when its hot, it loses power - put it this way it wont go over 80 in 5th, if if you get it to 80 on the motorway even a sniff of a hill and its down to 65!

I thought it might be some dodgy fuel - but it seems ok when cold

Any advice?

Regards

John

A2 prob

Hi there try running with the fuel cap off.It might not be a heat problem more of a vacuum being created in the tank (vent could be blocked in the cap)creating a bit of a draw for the fuel pump.Failing that I would bin the filter just to eliminate it.:)

Hi John
A diagnostic scan is always a good starting point as it could just be a faulty temp sensor.
The severe loss of power however suggests its more likely to be a turbo boost problem. This happened to my car when the small boost pressure signal pipes came adrift from the turbo after the cambelt was changed (engine lowered for access caused the pipes to come loose). Boost problems can also be caused by a split hose or aftercooler core but in these cases the car only goes into limp home mode when the engine is working hard - think you also get a dash lamp when it happens. Switching the engine off and on again resets everything until the engine is put under load again. Does this happen to your car?

Cheers Spike

just thinking.....

if it is the injectors as the A2 is a pretty basic engine, compared to other vag pd engines,

can new injectors be diy fitted, or not, and if so does someone have any instructions - if not is it costly to have them fitted?

thanks

Got a similar issue to this with my FSI. Have noticed it happening on a few occasions and it happened the other day when it was relatively warm; car doesn't respond well and is hesitant when at speed and on a hotter day (with the air con on). The engine takes on a rough character and seems like exhaust almost blowing?

Now it's cooler out (plus have only been driving around town) all seems fine again. Anyone else experienced similar with their FSI?

Cheers

David

Back