Loss of power, No acceleration above 50-60 MPH in 4th gear, 5th Gear no acceleration

Hi All,
I bought an Audi 1.4 Tdi SE.

These days I can't accelerate above 50 and once I am in 5th it feels like there is no power left at all. I have to move to 4th and 3rd to give that push. The revs were always above 3K under those gears to keep car moving.

I have read number of posts here about same issue . I am now looking forward to your response to indicate what would be a best way to fix it.

Is there anything I can test on my own with your help?

Kind Regards

Last edited:
may not show up with diagnostics. Next time it happens, pull over, switch engine off, restart and almost certainly all will be ok again for a while. Mine does this every few thousand miles or so and in between runs fine.

Hi there
What your garage man has done is confirmed that there's a boost leak in the pressurised intake system, probably the same split hose fault as for your Passat. Basically if there is a pressure leak the turbo can't reach its maximum pressure within it's safe RPM parameter and so the ECU (engine management computer, which controls the turbo boost, amongst other things) shuts the turbo down and puts you into a low-power safe mode.

As I posted originally, split intercoolers (a radiator in the inlet tract that cools the hot pressurised air to give you more power) are becoming common on the A2s; if your man couldn't find any obviously split hoses it's likely to be that. To inspect the intercooler the front bumper will need to come off.

"BOOST controller in TURBO" wastegate?? is the only thing i can think of and they don't usually fail, rather they react and limit the turbo pressure because of overspin, again usually due to a split hose somewhere. Another time one of mine rusted up thus only allowing small amounts of boost within its limited movment. But that's my experince from owning two turbod petrol cars, am not sure if the same applies for our diesels.

You say this place sorted your Passat, but in this instance he wants to fix a problem he's not sure is the cause or going to reslove the issue. i'm not being funny but i wouldn't bother with that, May as well jack the car up and have a go your self !!

You need to find a competent mechanic who knows what he’s doing, this place hourly rate smacks of competence but... You're not to far from RAC in west london using the M11 then north circular, why not speak to them ??

Last edited:
Just had the very same problem in my Stealth re-mapped 75 tdi.

Took it back to Stealth Racing who diagnosed a faulty boost valve. They supplied and fitted a new one and the total bill was just over one hundred pounds which I don't think is too bad at all.;)

Loss of power and mpg

Just had same problem in my Vauxhall Astra. However slight Loss of power but big loss in mpg. Split hose was the cause linked to the turbo. Had noticed a smell from the engine compartment much like a radiator leak smell, but I had no loss of water. It went in for its service under warranty and was found to have a split hose to the intercooler/turbo unit. so I guess I could smell the gases from the split pipe, so would the A2 have a similar smell with the same problem?
Also if your an A2 owner in Liverpool. VW garage is cheaper for services and repairs the Audi dealer, both of which are on the same road being Derby road.

Mate - you still haven't said if they have checked the intercooler for cracks, and the boost hoses for splits? I still think you need to rule out a boost leak first.

If they're suspecting a mechanical turbo fault, have they checked the turbo thrust bearing for signs of play (indicating wear), and the turbo oil seals for signs of oil leaks?

I just spoke to the Garage.

>> Mate - you still haven't said if they have checked the intercooler for cracks, and the boost hoses for splits? I still think you need to rule out a boost leak first.
-- He said he had a look at all pipework and intercooler which is fine.

If they're suspecting a mechanical turbo fault, have they checked the turbo thrust bearing for signs of play (indicating wear), and the turbo oil seals for signs of oil leaks?
-- He mentioned he has cleaned area around ,also fitted TURBO valve but things didn't work.

They are not getting enough pressure from the TURBO.

He suggested to take car to Audi main Dealer for further diagnosis. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Many Thanks

Maybe its fuel starvation, check the fuel filter is fitted correctly?

Could also be a faulty Mass Air Flow Meter perhaps?

Get it scanned for error codes and take it to someone who knows A2s intimately, eg Vincent at Stealth Racing.

head gasket

Seems like you have been ripped off by this garage who have replaced a boost valve and your car is still not working correctly and they suggest taking it to an audi main dealer ???

This sounds like my head gasket failure.

Mine was ok on the test drive but as soon as i got on the motorway to take it home it lost power as the exhaust pressure build up due to the headgasket failure caused the engine to be stifled +overheating after a few miles.

you dont say if the turbo is kicking in at all or stopping and restarting engine resets the ecu and the turbo kicks in??

It might be an idea to check for the headgasket to rule it out.

Simon

Hi Simon,
The garage told me they have checked all pipework , head gasket and suspect turbo failure. They have estimated it will be 400-700 in a reconditioned TURBO. Besides that it may not work as they are not 100% sure. I am getting an heart attack by the diagnosis I am hearing so far.

Anyone got a better idea here?

Many Thanks.

Take a day off work and drive over to Stealth Racing (nr Birmingham) for a proper diagnosis. They have a rolling road dyno so could check the car under load if a visual inspection does not show up anything.

Cheers Spike

Exactly what I said as well!

Take a day off work and drive over to Stealth Racing (nr Birmingham) for a proper diagnosis. They have a rolling road dyno so could check the car under load if a visual inspection does not show up anything.

Cheers Spike

Back