Loss of steering on A2 1.4 petrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_n/a

During quite heavy rain my A2's windscreen wiper suddenly stopped in the vertical position and more seriously the steering locked up. Fortunately I was able to brake and not hit anything and after switching off and restarting everything returned to normal - until a few minutes later the same thing happened again! However since then everything has been fine and so I can not demonstrate the fault to my dealer.
Has anyone any ideas please? Thanks.

Chris

Putting two and two together and coming up with 5, could it have been water in the electrics somehow?. Sounds like something shorted out that took out the wiper and power-steering pump. I'm unsure of the A2's front end design-the way water goes through the top of the bonnet lid and via a pipe is led out of the bottom of the car.

I also notice that if the car has been stationary but it has been raining and then I start the car, the drive belt screams as somehow it is getting wet. A few seconds of running dries it out and no more noise. Does make you wonder if the engine position is somehow to blame.

I take it the fuses all look ok and not wet or damaged in anyway?.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Power steering is electric-hydraulic which is a clue. Do you have NO steering or did it go heavy,
IE no assistance?
I suspect the latter.

icon_smile_cool.gif

Was it just the wiper/steering or did eveything electrical go off?

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies so far. In response to your requests for further information:
- Fuses seem OK
- I suspect too that the steering became very heavy rather than failing completely - my inexperienced daughter was driving at the time and she was too terrified to really know!
- As far as I can judge only the wiper/steering failed although possibly the instrument panel lights went out too but we're not really sure.
Anyway the car is booked in for attention and I will let you all know what happens.
Thanks
Chris

Chris

If the instrument lights went out as well it looks like a negative return/earth fault - try moving the battery leads to see if you can re-create it. If it does then the connection needs tightening if not then it may be a longer search as it could be anyof the earth connections.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.

It all sounds to me as though the engine and electronics died - hence the heavy steering. This fault has happened to several A2 owners in the past.

My wifes steering was going heavy on and off for a while, then went very heavy with the warning light coming on. Audi assiatnce advised the pump electrics or sensor had gone. ( The power steering pump is electric ! not hydraulic on the A2). Wouldn't let her drive it to the garage as they said it can take down other electrics including the lights. Garage took two days to repair, first one they had ever done, and its a big dealership. It was the sensor that dicates how much assistance is needed and ir way donw the column and hard to get to apparently. Hope this is useful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back