Information Love Cowboy Mechanics!!!

joeyquattro

So a brief history... I bought my A2 in November last year. The guy I bought it from had told me that he had MOT'd the car and had to have two rear tyre replaced and a rear wheel bearing.

Two weeks ago my brakes started to give off a hint of squeek so I decided to do an overhaul of the brakes all round. Everything finally turned up this week after much trawling of eBay.

Last night I set to it at my works Car Club and changed the front first. All was fine. Then came the issue... the rear.

Offside rear wheel. I started to undo the bolts. First two fine. Next the locking wheel bolt... very loose. The next two were very tight all the way out. They were that tight I had to take them off before lifting the car. The three last bolts were all stripped of threads for around 10mm. Joy! So theses mechanics who had changed tyres and bearings were clearly in a rush to get home!! Air ratchet on and go till it's tight... Done!!

After 5 minutes kicking the wheel to get it off the hub I found there was no copper slip to help me out... Why would there be. The wheel had fused on.

On looking at the threads in the hub my worst fears... three holes all next to each other, stripped.

What should have been a couple of hours tinkering turned into five hours!! I've cleaned the threads up as best I could and had to put the bolts back in as they were. New hub ordered with a new set of bolts.

Oh and dismantling the brake shoes whilst still on the hub is not Audi's finest design.

Rant over...

More like Bandit Mechanic! Reminds me of a guy came with an half meter long wrench key, when I dropped in a hurry with my A4 into the service to have a front light bulb replaced. Asked him what he wanted to do with that wrench, well, he wanted to just force all pipes and cables and eberything further back from the light so he could get the hand in from the back :))

Very worrying when safety and lives at stake. Glad you didn't experience the wheel coming off.

I once bought 2 tyres from a major UK tyre chain. Drove 200 yards down the road to a roundabout and almost lost control of the car. Drove back gingerly to the garage and they said they had mixed psi with bars but now looking at the conversion (1 bar = 14.50326 psi) that can't be right. No real apology, more a shrug of the shoulders.

Back