Low oil pressure.

Recently picked up a 1.4 petrol A2 for spares/repair. The previous owner said the oil light came on and then it stopped. On investigation the small camshaft belt had snapped, this had been caused by a seized exhaust camshaft. Compression is ok on all cylinders. I’ve fitted a new camshaft unit and cam belt and it runs ok but after 5 minutes the oil pressure warning light comes on. Is the possible cause of the problem a blocked strainer in the oil pickup pipe? 140k miles full independent service history. Thoughts appreciated.

ive certainly had this with an audi80 many years ago so certainly a possability especially if poor service history and car left stood still for months/years

Found couple of example on the web where the oil gallery in the head had sludged up - which could explain the seized camshaft and another where the oil suction tube strainer was blocked.

Cheers Spike

ive certainly had this with an audi80 many years ago so certainly a possability especially if poor service history and car left stood still for months/years
It’s been stood for 18months but was in regular use prior to issue. It had regular services but I wonder if incorrect grade of oil has been used probably not low ash as is required in vag engines?

On my old audi80 back in the day it was the inside of the sun which had started to rust and clogged the oil strainer. When the oil light came on if I stopped the engine for about 10 seconds the oil would flow back from the oil pump backwards through the strainer and clear it so when you restarted the engine oil pressure would be ok again
This is how I figured out what it was
Took sump off and cleaned strainer and oil pump and had the sump vapour blasted and plated
New sump gasket and all was good

That particular car was well serviced but used for short trips and was then then laid up for 18 months with the old oil in the engine. I suspect the acids causes the rusts and rest is described above
Certainly work pulling the sump off your A2
Have you checked the oil pressure switch which is a known failure point just in case it’s a dodgy switch or do you get engine rattling when the oil light comes on

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blocked with what??
Hopefully a good clean followed by an oil and filter change. Always use OEM filters and the correct spec and grade of quality engine oil and replace at the recommended intervals.

Blocked with what??
Hopefully a good clean followed by an oil and filter change. Always use OEM filters and the correct spec and grade of quality engine oil and replace at the recommended intervals.
A layer of thick black gungy oil, no sign of metal, enough to significantly restrict the flow of oil. My guess is cheap oil and irregular service intervals

Very probably prudent to perform a full service of all filters fuel, air, oil and cabin, replace the coolant and flush and bleed the brakes and clutch. At least then you have a known staring point.
Always use OEM filters and correct coolant as the wrong coolant will cause issues, even if mixed with the correct coolant.

Back