Lower suspension arms

Chiefmechanic

I am putting a 1.4 tdi 2003 sport back on the road after a couple of years sitting about. Just noticed the lower arms (pressed street type) have a few pin holes in the metal. Trying to source another pair and I see that they are the same as the 1.6 fsi but not the 1.4. I like to keep to original if possible but it seems the pressed type aren’t available any more. Anyone got some pressed arms off a diesel they are not using that I could purchase or what do people use as an alternative.
Brian

Most owners have reverted to solid arms from earlier cars due to higher reliability, with the downside being the integrated lower ball joints. They seem to be much more widely available also.

I am putting a 1.4 tdi 2003 sport back on the road after a couple of years sitting about. Just noticed the lower arms (pressed street type) have a few pin holes in the metal. Trying to source another pair and I see that they are the same as the 1.6 fsi but not the 1.4. I like to keep to original if possible but it seems the pressed type aren’t available any more. Anyone got some pressed arms off a diesel they are not using that I could purchase or what do people use as an alternative.
Brian

I believe that the pressed steel type are once again available from Audi, although you'd need to wait until their dealers resume normal service of course. If you can source the pressed steel ones, and prefer the originality, please send me a PM and I can let you have some bits to go with them.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the trw one is only available for one side now according to the parts catalogue. More research needed I think.

I believe that the pressed steel type are once again available from Audi, although you'd need to wait until their dealers resume normal service of course. If you can source the pressed steel ones, and prefer the originality, please send me a PM and I can let you have some bits to go with them.
Thanks for that. I’ll see how I get on sourcing parts. Pressed steel has lasted 17 years so I wouldn’t be worried putting them back on.

I've been informed that Waxoyl is excellent for protecting the pressed steel arms.

Whilst I'm sure it does I'd recommend using Bilt Hamber products as they adhere to surfaces better. Indeed they do a variety of products, one of which is intended for use in cavities...especially good for the pressed arms.

Whilst I'm sure it does I'd recommend using Bilt Hamber products as they adhere to surfaces better. Indeed they do a variety of products, one of which is intended for use in cavities...especially good for the pressed arms.
Or Dinitrol: really very good.

Waxoyl tends to dry out after a few years and ends up looking like Cadbury's Honeycomb. Still infinitely better than nothing though.

The problem with pressed steel is that they are hollow and alllow water to get into the seams etc, they literally rot from the inside out.
I would go for cast everytime, they may have non renewable ball joints but they are not likely to give way in a huge way when you are driving down the road.
As for originality, all the earlier A2 cars had cast, with the pressed ones coming in later on, probably to save money on a car that was selling as a loss unless specced up by the customer.

Was talking to my parts supplier and he also said the cast ones were the earliest type. Would probably go for cast ones now.

Back