meh - misfire :(

bretti_kivi

16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire detected - P0301 - 35-10 - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire detected - P0301 - 35-10 - Intermittent
16649 - Fuel Injector #2 (N31) short to plus - P0265 - 35-10 - Intermittent
16655 - Fuel Injector #4 (N33) short to plus - P0271 - 35-10 - Intermittent

Thoughts? It's cold and wet, and after leaving the car for 10-20 mins it's fine. What's going on?

Bret

hi Bret could it be water ingress into the wiring loom in the engine bay? sounds like it dries out when run for a while then re condenses as it cools down. check to see it the drain holes from the bonnet vents are clear as they can get bunged up with all sorts of debris.
why do problems happen when its cold and wet-Murphy's law cheers mike

crank sensor was last changed in 2004, the plugs are from this summer (10k ago). The water thing seems plausible, mainly because it's under a tree right now. I might go out shortly and see what the story is and then go for a run after playing with tyre pressures. Then I can get it nice and dirty for photos :)

Bret

aahhh as its under a tree i bet you find rotting leaves in the drain system that is causing the top of the engine to get wet. really hope this is an easy fix for you cheers mike

well, I took the bonnet off and hey presto, there was a single leaf. Considering the moisture content of the air over the last few days (and the "short" errors), it would not surprise me if this was at least part of the cause.
I dropped my pressures all round to 2.3 and then went for a quick blast. Man, it's extremely wet. Should be snowing this time of year....

I'll keep an eye on it, could do without it going wrong this week as I need to do another 600km+ round trip weekend after this.

OTOH, I also know now that FSDs make a hell of a difference in warmer weather :D

Bret

Back