MFSW not working

Madski

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me before I go daft.
I've got a 2005 1.4 special edition which has the 6 button MFSW fitted as standard but for the life of me I can't get the buttons to work with the radio ( basic Concert with single CD) I've checked with VCDS and there are no faults showing on the steering wheel module which is coded 00002 which I believe is correct. Are the buttons supposed to light up with the car lights ? in which case mine don't. The horn and DIS all work OK and there are no faults showing on the airbag. I've also checked the single fuse on top of the main fuse box and that's OK. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Sounds like you've been quite thorough on the checks, but have you checked for wire continuity to the radio?

Also, do you know whether the mfsw has ever worked?

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

I don't know if it's ever worked I've only had the car a couple of months or so. Is there a specific connector on the back of the radio for the MFSW connections or are they incorporated in a general connector? Do you know if the buttons should illuminate?

Thanks

Mick

Mike

Forgot to mention but when I'm in VCDS in the steering wheel module I can change channels and volume remotely using the software so I'm assuming the links to the radio are there and working or I may be wrong, my heads beginning to spin.

Cheers
Mick

...on my MFSW the 6 buttons illuminate (red) when I turn the side lights on. Also, when I removed the air bag & steering wheel when installing my cruise there were numerous connectors underneath the airbag...some I'm betting were for the buttons...although it could be there plugged in and the problem lies somewhere else. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. As mine don't light it looks like I'm not getting power to the buttons. As far as I can work out there are only 3 wires to the button side of the steering wheel operating unit, one +ve and two -ve so when I've a minute I'll have to try and follow the connectivity of each wire through the loom ( don't you just love hanging upside down under dashes).

I havent got a wiring schematic in front of me but you should probably have one +, one - and two CAN BUS (orange/green and orange/grey) wires. Possibly a blue/grey wire for illumination all though this can be done via the CAN BUS, from the radio.

John

Looking at the wiring diagram, you should have, as you say, 2 x earth wires (one slightly thicker than the other) and a power feed from the 1A fuse.

There should also be a thin black wire from pin 1 of the yellow 5 pin connector on the slip ring, going to pin 18 on the mfsw controller - this is the main info wire.

Apart from this, there are CAN H & L wires, a diagnostic wire and wiring to the light switch, as well as 3 other wires to the mfsw controller - 2 x power feeds (one pre-ignition, one post) and an earth. These last 3 wires are all 1mm sections, so pretty thick.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

I've been having a look at mine and I appear to have full connectivity across the slipring. I've got a +ve black and green wire and a -ve brown wire going to the black connector behind the steering wheel which the comes out through the slipring assembly on the steering wheel side, through the black 5-pin connector as a black +ve and a brown -ve wire. this then goes to the 3-pin black connector which plugs into the E221 operating unit in the steering wheel. This connection has a good solid 12v across it. In view of this is it likely that the problem is going to lie in the E221 circuitry.

The other thing I cant find is what supply etc goes through which pin on the short yellow to yellow connector between the E221 and the button/airbag assembly.

Thanks

Mick

Back