Michelin Pilot Primacy 185/50 16 81v

• Thread starter fax.machine
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fax.machine

Having done 31k+ miles the front 2 tiers needed replacing, talked to the local Audi Garage and having sat down from the shock of asking how much one 16in SE alloy would cost (£295 if your interested), I asked how much 2 Michelin Pilots Primacy would be.
20 Minutes and a coffee later, they came back and said around £100, I thought that was reasonable (for Audi), then he said one small problem, they have been on back order since August 2003.

I tried all my local tyre joints but similar answer, settled for a couple of P6000's fitted for £162 the pair ("North Eastern Tyre & Exhausts LTD", Not from Audi).

Anybody else had problems getting tyres?

£295 is a lot for just one alloy.

You can get a set of 4 brand new Volkswagen 5 spoke alloys and matching Continental 185 tyres for £262. Unlike many aftermarket wheels, these will fit perfectly.

You can even swap the VW badge in the middle of the wheel for an Audi one.

You can get a copy for around £100 - link is on the site somewhere!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Quite right! You can get copy of Audi alloys from most "alloy wheels outfits. In my case I`m going to get 17 in 9 spoke for £120+ vat less little discount. You get big discount for four.
Have you tried Topgear tyres ( sorry I don`t have a link), they have branches in SE incl one in St.Albans.

I too have reached 37k miles on my front Michelins (astounding mileage compared to previous car experiences!)and they just need replacing. I enquired about Pilot Primacy's and have had them on back-order since November 2003. I have now given up waiting!

I went through Micheldever tyres, (one of the biggest dealers in the South such that Autoexpress magazine uses them for price comparisons) who were very helpful and kept phoning up about them.

Basically Michelin in France havent manufactured any Pilot Primacy in 185/50 for a while, and this shortage has rippled out across Europe. No forecast was available when production would restart.

So I'll be refitting Dunlop P9000 instead. Thought I'd give them a try. Michelin have now lost my business.

I too have had great trouble trying to source these Michelins for weeks now, so I emailed Michelin directly to get a final definitive answer to delivery. This is their response:

"We have made representation to our central supplies people to try and determine a production date for the 185/50 R16 Pilot Primacy TL 81V but they cannot give us a firm answer. The current and future production plans are visible to us on a three week rolling cycle so the situation can change very quickly, but we do not expect to see any in the near future."

So there you have it!! Useless. I'm taking my business to another manufacturer now, probably Continental or Dunlop.

Truly appalling ....

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Part of the problem lies with Audi's choice of tyre size.

Michelin clearly considers the 185/50R16 size to have a lower manufacturing priority than other more popular sizes.

i had the same problem and sent to the forum many months ago explaining the problems everyone here is encountering.
The problem is Audi bought a batch of cheap tyres to go on the A2 and at the time of first production of the A2 Mitchelin were producing this tyre at a cheap rate for baulk buying.
Michelin then decided to produce this type of tyre just for the A2 since they were in large demand.
Thus since the A2 in car manufacturers world did not sell as good as they had hoped Michelin have now dropped the production of this tyre size down considerably, hence the 3 month back order from mitchlin.
I know this since this is what Audi and various other tyre fitting companies have said.
Great or What!!!:([2]

cheers

A.D.Simmons

Oh well, at least there are alternatives to Michelin in this size.

Tyre manufacturers do often sell their tyres to the car manufacturers at below cost price. Then when car owners come to replace their tyres they are charged inflated prices, thereby subsidising the tyre manufacturers.

Heh, just did a quick check on the 'Net and came across the web site of MyTyres.co.uk (http://www.mytyres.co.uk) and they claim they have Michelin Pilot 185/50 R16 81V in stock at a cost of £92.70 each including posting, packing and VAT within mainland U.K.

They also have Dunlop SP SPORT 9000 in stock at a very tempting cost of £63.30 each. Also slightly more expensive Pirelli P6000 Powergy and Continental PremiumContact tyres.

Have any of you dealt with this company before?

YipYazoo

I have used more than once - excellent. Just need to budget for fitment - about £8 each including diosal cost for old tyre

quote:Originally posted by YipYazoo

Heh, just did a quick check on the 'Net and came across the web site of MyTyres.co.uk (http://www.mytyres.co.uk) and they claim they have Michelin Pilot 185/50 R16 81V in stock at a cost of £92.70 each including posting, packing and VAT within mainland U.K.

They also have Dunlop SP SPORT 9000 in stock at a very tempting cost of £63.30 each. Also slightly more expensive Pirelli P6000 Powergy and Continental PremiumContact tyres.

Have any of you dealt with this company before?

YipYazoo

2003 FSi SE in Ebony Black Pearlescent; Climate; DIS; Winter Pack; Sports Steering Wheel; Copilot Light and Upgraded bulbs

Poppy,

Thanks for confirming MyTyres.co.uk may be worth a go when it's time to replace the tyres.

I just recently purchased my (used) A2 1.4 SE, and the Michelins look like they're worth at least another 10K, so will go to MyTyres.co.uk when it's time to "change shoes".

Cheers!

YipYazoo

I have just replaced the front two types using Pirelli P6000.

Price per tyre was 80.00 (inc fitting, balancing & VAT)

Company was TyreSales UK Ltd (Solihull), though they initially quoted me £113.00 per tyre - I said i had already been quoted £85.00 and they miraculously were able to reduce their price by £33.00 !!!!

Michelin Primacy 85 Quid, Tyretraders, Darlaston, Walsall for anyone in the midlands. Nothing surprises me with Audi and their 'custom you have to buy from us' policy. Apparently, BMW are on the custom size tyre policy and includes the mini. (so I have been told.) :)

Neil Howells
A2 1.4 SE - Atlantic Blue
Symphony Radio, Electronic A/C

We've got another puncture on our A2.

Same as before - no Michelins around and no-one can say when they're going to get any.
Sorry Michelin, Pirelli will have our business from now on with 2 P6000's going on the rear this weekend.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Hi Rob

If it's any consolation I've just switched to a Pirelli-shod A2 from one which wore Michelins.

The new tyres are quiet and seem grippy in the varied weather we've had since I collected the new car.

Time will tell if they prove to be as wear-resistant.

Regards

Ian 2004 Tdi90 SE, prev. 2001 1.4 petrol SE

Kwik-Fit currently doing Pilot Primacy 185/50/V/16s at 4 tyres for the price of 3 across the UK. Equivalent to £85/tyre, fitted and complete. In stock!

Cheapest by far

Costco in chadderton Mitchelin premicy 185/50/16 81v speed rating.
£84.00 for one tyre fully fitted and balanced including vat.

So i will be going there to get my new tyres which have now nearly done 27k.

Anyone around the Manchester area give them a look before going to anyone else.

cheers

A.D.Simmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back