MIL light & MOT

the_IT_bloke

Past Member
Does anyone know for sure if having the MIL light on is an MOT failure in its self?

I have the dreaded light on and I have not as yet got rid of it.

That said, thats the only problem with the engine, idle is OK, runs OK, good power and the 8 or so internal checks pass (cant remember what they are called, but include correct CAT operation etc. I think they are required for MOT pass).

Assuming the emissions are OK can they still fail it because of the MIL light.

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

Well i can now answer my own question, my A2 passed its MOT with the Engine Management Light on.

Mad thing is the light is on because the engine is running lean and the management system is over compensating by pushing additional fuel, but the emisions appear to be spot on,....

hi new mot thats good news then with the bonus that emissions are spot on. i know you have been having this problem for a while but have you given the egr pipe a good look at? as i have had my one crack and Daren who lives near me had his crack very close to the ex manifold. so it would then suck air into the exhaust flow and trick the lambda sensor into putting the light on as it thought it was lean. the pipe is about £85 but tricky to get to as its under the high pressure fuel pump--it looks like a corrugated stainless steel pipe with a heat resistant cloth over it about the thickness of a finger.

hope you get it sorted mike

:eek: Is it that obvious i've been having problems :eek:

Thanks for the sugestion, yes I did look at the EGR pipe but couldnt determine (see or hear) any cracks, I ran the diagnostic using VAG-COM and watched the valve operate correctly and blocked off the pipe at the EGR valve end (this wasn't such a good idea bearing in mind the valve opens into the pipe and therefore fouled on the home made 'coke can' blank).

What I didnt try was blocking off the other end (exhaust manafold) as it was harder to get to which from your comments re air in the exhaust / lambda sensor might have been a better bet...

I am awaiting delivery of my new A4, then planning on putting the 2 in the garage and pulling it appart, might still be there in pieces when I retire though :D

Thanks for your sugestions

Regards

Paul

Back