Mileage for Timing Belt change on petrol A2?

Batz

Just had our A2 in to fix a rear brake cylinder leak and the garage (independent and one which has been honest with us over the 6 months and 4 or 5 jobs we have used them for (Seat Toledo as well)) advised that the timing belt was overdue a change as it was due at 55,000 miles and our A2 is at 57,000. As the manual was in the car and this was over the phone I agreed to the change (approx £260).

Anyway when I get the car back to check the service details it says that the petrol A2 needs a 'v-belt and ribbed v-belt replaced' at 80,000 miles and that for a diesel it is 'toothed belt for camshaft drive replaced' at 60,000.

I rang back the garage and politely explained the above. They told me that they had looked up the detail on Autodata (subsciber service online) and he went online while I was on the phone and confirmed that petrol was 55k and for reference the diesel was 60k. I queried why the manual states 80k and he told me that Autodata is up to date with any manufacturer updates etc. etc.

Anyway I didn't push the point but thought I'd check here for any opinions?

Ian

Hi Batz, welcome to the A2oc
Audi keep changing the goalposts with regard to cambelt replacement intervals. I wrote the following back in Oct 2006 but have since heard a rumour that the 4 year limit had been relaxed. Best phone your Audi main dealer and check.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I called in at Audi Teesside today and asked about cambelt change intervals. Both the Service and Parts guys were very helpful and provided the following info
Timing belt should be changed after 4 years on ALL models or at the following mileage (whichever comes first)
1.6FSi and TDi..................60,000 miles
TDi - from May 2004......... 80,000 miles
1.4 petrol ........................No mileage limit
For those brave (or daft) enough to do it themselves, a kit is available which includes the belt, tensioner pulley and idler roller at £88 + vat. The water pump costs £23 +vat exchange.
Service said they don't automatically change the water pump and rarely see problems with them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do have the cambelt done I would recommend you have the water pump, tensioner and idler roller replaced at the same time.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Cambelt news?

Audi keep changing the goalposts with regard to cambelt replacement intervals. I wrote the following back in Oct 2006 but have since heard a rumour that the 4 year limit had been relaxed.

I called in at Audi Teesside today and asked about cambelt change intervals. Both the Service and Parts guys were very helpful and provided the following info
Timing belt should be changed after 4 years on ALL models or at the following mileage (whichever comes first)
1.6FSi and TDi..................60,000 miles
TDi - from May 2004......... 80,000 miles
1.4 petrol ........................No mileage limit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers Spike

Just wondered whether there's been any firm and definitive change in Audi's advice on mileage versus years as regards cambelt change. Can that rumour be substantiated?

The 1.4 TDI '53 plate I'd like to buy is just over four years old, but mileage is under 25k - cabmelt not changed at last service in June '07. Should I haggle to knock the price down to allow for cambelt change, or can this job really wait a few more years (or 35k miles)?

Thanks!

Hi dlp

I've done a bit of research on this due to my car now being over 6 years old (2001 '51) and has now covered 45,000 miles.

I've been advised that the latest service bulletin recommends 60,000 miles for the tdi with no time limit. They do, however advise that a visual check be carried out at 5 years or over if it hasn't been done. I've just had a service done at Stafford Audi and I asked them to visually check the belt which they did and reported no signs of wear or cracking etc.

I will still be having it changed in the Spring as a precaution though!

Thanks, dickhilt - that's really helpful - a visual check should do the trick, then!

Whilst getting ULP MOT'd today (he passed, no probs)...

Pleased to hear it mate - mind you with all of those new parts fitted during your recent saga; the front end was never going to fail was it?! ;)

Cheers,

Darren

Back