Mirror glass replacement problems with ebay suppliers

Sootywg

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
I have recently undertaken the popular uprade to heated door mirrors.

I share this in the hope to help others avoid the disappointment and problems I experienced and also to try and verify what I believe to be a misunderstanding that some of the aftermarket suppliers are under.

Wanting to avoid the high cost of oem mirror glasses especially the heated variety. Based on a2oc threads on the subject I went ahead and bought a pair of heated glasses from ebay, chosing a supplier that appeared to have a good rep.

The mirrors duly arrived quickly and seemed of reasonably quality. Fitting the drivers side was straightforward. The passenger side however immediately seemed a very poor fit in the aperture of the housing.

I therefore checked the new mirror against the original and indeed the profile was subtley different. I also compared it against the drivers side mirror and it was an exact match but lateraly inverted (i.e. a mirror image if you know what I meen)

My conclusion from this is that the left and right mirror housings on the A2 (possibly all cars) are significanly different and not simply a laterally inverted version of each other. The corollary is that mirrors and housings from a lhd car could not be fitted to a rhd car.

Can anybody confirm this?

The ebay supplier I used has tried to be helpful but does not seem to understand the issue they simply suggest that it might just be a production problem with a batch of mirrors.

I have seen in other threads people refer to some poorly fitting mirrors. I wonder how many of these mirror suppliers are simply assuming that the left hand is a laterally inverted version of the right hand.

I have yet to resolve this with the supplier.

Any members experiences that can shed light on this would be welcomed.

Original VAG mirror vag glass.jpg

After market replacement your replacement.jpg
Geoff

Last edited:
Did you buy the type that already have the plastic mounting attached to the glass? Or did you have to attach the plastic backing to the mirror glass yourself.

I think that it sounds like you have been unlucky.
Many members have bought mirrors from eBay and not had this problem.

I normally OEM for things like this and that is what I used (after being disappointed with the quality of the ones I bought on eBay. But the price difference is huge (sonething like £48 each from Audi) so I am not surprised that people opt for eBay. But it can be Russian roulette and done are great, others not.
I would start by demanding a refund (eBay sellers hate getting negative feedback so often give in and give you your money back) and then buy from a seller that people on here have used and found the mirrors to be good.

But it I avoid the ones without the plastic being already mounted.

Steve B

Hi it looks to me as though the new mirror is in fact a left hand drivers side glass due to it having the line on the left that shows where the blind spot bevel is produced. The passenger glass should just be plain like the image of the original one. Cheers Mike

Did you buy the type that already have the plastic mounting attached to the glass? Or did you have to attach the plastic backing to the mirror glass yourself.

Sumo said:
The passenger glass should just be plain like the image of the original one. Cheers Mike

Steve: yes the backing plate was separate.

Sumo: I agree. I told the supplier I was convinced they had supplied a drivers mirror for a lhd car but they are adamant that you can have a wide angled passenger mirror. I have asked them to compare their stock of convex mirrors with the wide angled ones. I suspect
they do not know that there is a shape difference between lhd and rhd vehicles.

Geoff

LHD and RHD mirrors are not the same.

Edited to add: original LHD OR RHD vehicle mirror glasses do not have the blind spot section on the passenger side.

- Bret

Steve: yes the backing plate was separate.

Sumo: I agree. I told the supplier I was convinced they had supplied a drivers mirror for a lhd car but they are adamant that you can have a wide angled passenger mirror. I have asked them to compare their stock of convex mirrors with the wide angled ones. I suspect
they do not know that there is a shape difference between lhd and rhd vehicles.

Geoff
I think that you will find that the supplier is correct in that you CAN have a " wide angle or blind spot" mirror on the passenger side.

When I was looking for mine I am pretty sure that the dealer indicated several options.

I agree with Mike though and yours might be the driver's mirror from a LHD car. But the blind spot alone does not indicate that. To me a blind spot mirror in both sides is a good thing. Better visibility when pulling in a lane on the motorway.

Steve B

To me a blind spot mirror in both sides is a good thing. Better visibility when pulling in a lane on the motorway.

Steve B

Absolutely correct Steve I was hoping to get a wide angle for the passenger side to help with the blind spot. I see no reason why this is not possible but I suspect some suppliers do not understand that you can't simply take a lhd drivers mirror and stick it in a rhd passenger door

Geoff

I think that you will find that the supplier is correct in that you CAN have a " wide angle or blind spot" mirror on the passenger side.

When I was looking for mine I am pretty sure that the dealer indicated several options.

I agree with Mike though and yours might be the driver's mirror from a LHD car. But the blind spot alone does not indicate that. To me a blind spot mirror in both sides is a good thing. Better visibility when pulling in a lane on the motorway.

Steve B
Authoritative:
LHD cars have different part numbers for the motor assemblies and mirror glasses. An LHD car does not have a blind-spot mirror on the passenger side. Ergo, it was not forseen from the factory to have blind spot mirrors on both sides. The LHD ones are 8Z1 and the RHD ones 8Z2, as per Audi's standards.
We tried looking at this a long time ago and drew this conclusion, also because - if I remember correctly - the mirror shells have different anchor points and are therefore not interchangeable.

- Bret

Authoritative:
LHD cars have different part numbers for the motor assemblies and mirror glasses. An LHD car does not have a blind-spot mirror on the passenger side. Ergo, it was not forseen from the factory to have blind spot mirrors on both sides. The LHD ones are 8Z1 and the RHD ones 8Z2, as per Audi's standards.
We tried looking at this a long time ago and drew this conclusion, also because - if I remember correctly - the mirror shells have different anchor points and are therefore not interchangeable.

- Bret
Hi Bret,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I never said they were interchangeable, but I remember seeing options for the UK passenger side, perhaps it was on an eBay advert and not a main dealer, but I know that I could have bought "blind spot", Wide angle or flat glass for my passenger mirror. Perhaps it was from a seller thinking that the LHD driver's mirror glass could be used !!!

This one on eBay is a used passenger side glass (OEM) advertised incorrectly because they are not interchangeable
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-0...del:A2&hash=item1c5b83b573:g:2L0AAOSwo0JWKNVj

This seller is advertising a uk Passenger side heated "Blind spot" mirror glass
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-Angl...del:A2&hash=item567d429e95:g:LAwAAOSw9mFWJ0MV

This one is only 6.99 and so is probably useless but also advertised as the "split vision wide angle for the left mirror
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Heat...hash=item566a710d6c:m:mj9QEIGXrZ2uLGaSwG7lczw

So they must be getting them manufactured somewhere

Steve B

Just looked through the Audi Parts list and they DO list a heated convex (wide angle) for the Left of the RHD A2 part number 8Z2857535A

So you can get the wide angle (perhaps not the "split one, but wide angle all the same (probably just under £50 though I would guess)

So perhaps these eBay sellers are a mixture of LH LHD and LH RHD ones? but they are available.

Steve B

Hi Bret,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I never said they were interchangeable, but I remember seeing options for the UK passenger side, perhaps it was on an eBay advert and not a main dealer, but I know that I could have bought "blind spot", Wide angle or flat glass for my passenger mirror. Perhaps it was from a seller thinking that the LHD driver's mirror glass could be used !!!

This one on eBay is a used passenger side glass (OEM) advertised incorrectly because they are not interchangeable
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-0...del:A2&hash=item1c5b83b573:g:2L0AAOSwo0JWKNVj

This seller is advertising a uk Passenger side heated "Blind spot" mirror glass
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-Angl...del:A2&hash=item567d429e95:g:LAwAAOSw9mFWJ0MV

This one is only 6.99 and so is probably useless but also advertised as the "split vision wide angle for the left mirror
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Heat...hash=item566a710d6c:m:mj9QEIGXrZ2uLGaSwG7lczw

So they must be getting them manufactured somewhere

Steve B

Steve. You are now getting to the heart of the point I was raising that the vendors, especially on ebay, do not know what they are selling.

Bret says you cannot have a blind spot mirror on the passenger side. I am inclined to believe this, unless some company has specifically chosen to manufacture them. What I believe is happening is that they are marketing lhd mirrors believing they are interchangeable with rhd vehicles.

The mirrors I bought came from the second link in your post.

The first link is the one Manhatten suggested. I think the error in the add is that it is not a wide angle mirror but a convex (no line) the sellor is breaking a rhd car so it is probably ok

Geoff

I don't think that one will be OK, on the plastic backing you can see the word "France" and so I would bet that it is a LHD car, driver's mirror.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back