Model Deletion & Residuals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read recently that once a manufacturer stops
producing a model from its line up the residuals take a big hit
due to the fact that potential buyers believe that it will be difficult to get support,parts etc

Has anyone a view on this with regards the A2 and the day when
A2 decide to kill it ?

Based on what I've read, it seems to be manufacturer and model dependent.

For example, Golf Mark III and IV models continue to hold their value, despite the launch of the latest Mark V. On the other hand, most bog standard Fiat cars drop in value like stones!

I too have the same concerns as I'm thinking about purchasing an Audi Approved used A2, with all the toys. I figure if I can get one about three years old (e.g. X or Y Reg), without killer milage on the clock, the toys would be enough of an incentive to sell it on more easily, even if the A2 becomes obsolete (and without too much additional depreciation... hopefully!).

Yeah, perhaps this is false economy, but as you probably know, car purchases decisions are sometimes more emotive than logical!

YipYazoo

In my experience "toys" make little difference to residuals. It is just easier to sell. Aircon/climate is worth having, but leather is never worth it.

That said I would never buy a car that didn't have leather.

You just pays your money and takes your choice.

Another way is never to sell it!

I'm intent on keeping our A2

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, Tinted Security Glass

I just bought an Audi Approved X-Reg (2001) A2 1.4 SE in Silver, and although it doesn't have leather, it has all the other toys (e.g. Climate Control, SatNav+, Open Sky, Bose Sound System, Six-Disc Changer and even the GSM Mobile Telephone Preparation) I think I'll ever need. And believe me, I like my toys!

I negotiated 12 months Road Fund Licence, 2004 UK CD-ROM for the SatNav+, full tank of petrol, new mats and even new halogen bulbs for the price.

Delivery is this coming Wednesday (10th of March), so looking forward to driving it around!

YipYazoo

Just a footnote to this thread;

Read in the March 2004 issue of 'Audi Driver', the roadmap for Audi is to run-out the A2 sometime during 2006-2007. Leaving the mini class market to the likes of SEAT.

Shame Audi isn't going to have another go at the mini market, as the trend these days is to "downsize", especially for suburban/urban dwellers like myself.

I suppose SEAT models, like the Altea, could be considered sporting, but has none of the class and build-quality of the current A2.

YipYazoo

quote:Originally posted by YipYazoo
I suppose SEAT models, like the Altea, could be considered sporting, but has none of the class and build-quality of the current A2.

YipYazoo

Wash your mouth out with soap young one [4]
;););)

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

[24]
I was very impressed with the build quality and interior appointments in my A2 evn after the BMWs and Alfas. Yes, Clarkson is right if you are a real petrol head you MUST own an Alfa at some point in your motoring career!
BUT
The bigger Audi (A3) knocks spots off the A2 in these areas. I am genuinely impressed. (Not easy to do, I am told by many)[10]
I think Audi will continue their move upmarket and into the sports type arena, especially now that the top guys have changed around. The Porsche and Quandt(BMW) family connection is no longer in so much control of the subsidiary.
I would not mind being a penny behind either family actually. Just think two of the most prestigious motors vehicle brands still independent and still in family ownership! (technically)

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
On this forum by default - I am no longer an A2 owner (i'm afraid) - but the A3 TDI DSG is 'better' - sorry guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back