More electrical gremlins

birdsd01

A2OC Donor
After fixing the earth problems affecting the starter motor, the little **** ;)has developed 2 other electrical faults......

1. The car doesn't know when the rear drivers side door in open, so you can lock the car with it open!! and it doesn't show as open on the dashboard display either :confused::confused: There are also problems with both drivers side door sender units, since when you start the car it locks and un locks all the doors. Faults codes recorded for this (thanks Skipton!) are 01562 and 01559 (both "door won't unlock" - intermittant. Any suggestions? and any idea of the cost of a DIY job? I am guessing that the 2 are related!

2. The brake pad wear indicator comes on if you turn on full lock to the right:confused: I have checked the connections, since the brake pads were recently changed, but everything looks OK? I can't simulate the fault by moving the wires around either? Could this be another earth fault?

It is a shame that these irritating problems are ruining what is a very special car!

Any help or suggestions readily taken,

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

The brake pad wear indicator has recently come on on my A2 even although the disks and pads are almost new. It's not when put on full lock, just comes on imediatley when starting the car.
Could your problem be related to the worn loom mentioned recently here:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9095
The problem Mike mentions involves the brake pad wear indicator etc.

Thanks,

Robbie

Thanks Robeeeeee,

I have done the checks Mike suggested and can't feel any problems. The brake pad wear fault is strange, if you switch the engine off the fault resets, and you drive for hours without the fault, as long as you avoid full lock to the right!

Got to love my car!!

David

birds
ive just done my pads at front and wasn't that impressed by the locking mechanism on the plastic shrouding for the connector i really had to clean my one up and had three goes at it before it snapped shut have a look at this area as i think it could possibly give you the same problem you're experiencing now.
Paul

Quick update to post #1.

1. Rear driver door catch had failed, so it unlocked and locked several times when opening it and when you put the keys in:confused: No way to clean the contacts up, so a new one was fitted by my newly found VW/Audi indy garage.

2. Wiring loom was beyond repair (oops!!! that may have been me tyring to fix it!) so the same garage bought a new ABS/brake pad indicator harness and spliced it into the loom in the engine bay.

Both fixed for £250 including parts and VAT. Not a bad result! and now the little monster makes no clicking on entry or start up, and has no warning lights on the dashboard! Doing this has also meant I get the external temperature reading back ;):D

Cheers,

David

PS. Highly recommend Lawson Cars in M'boro. Very nice and looked after the car very well.

Glad you got it all fixed and thanks for updating the forum with the solutions that way we all learn from your experiences! Dan

Forgot to say that the £250 included fitting a door check strap I had bought but never got round to fitting! Made it even more of a bargain!

David

Back