MOT & ARB Bushes

Marius

Just got back from having my 02 attack hamster MOT'd and thought the experience was worth posting.
Draw your own conclusions.:)
When the suspension was being put through it's paces, Ben, the kindly test man drew my attention to the ARB bush [the old style kind] on the drivers side. As the lamp shone on the above mentioned 'bit' it was evident that it had slipped out of the rubber bit [excuse my lack of exprtise] by about half it's length and was subsequently gently 'tapped' back in by Ben.
When we got to the nearside bush we discovered that it had slipped out completely.
"Have you been experiencing any kind of tapping sound whilst driving," Ben asked.
The fact was that I had heard a slight tapping sound like chain links taking up the slack and then loosening if you know what I mean.
When Ben attempted to tap this side back in it split in half.:(
As it is not an MOT failure, merely an advisory, I got my ticket.
A trip to a VW garage for new bushes is pending.

This is a very common thing and well documented on here, i had the same last year knocked back into place done, this year should be sorted as i'm in the process of doing full suspention upgrade and ARB is on the list to be done (new style) with the collars to stop this happening (slidding of the sleave)

Cheers Phil

Had a serious knocking same time ago and so changed the bushes for originals and noticed that the plastic sleeves had moved. A few months ago I changed the bushes for the Polo ones that are meant to give a tighter fit without the plastic sleeves. A month ago I started to hear noises but not as pronounced as before. £200 paid earlier this week and the ARB has been changed and the ride is a lot quieter and feels tighter. Happy Easter Bunny!

Neil

ARB Bushes

The same thing happened to me in the last 3 months, the drivers side rubber brush came out resulting in a knocking sound. I had to jack up the car and gently knock the brush in as Ben stated in his post. Is there any way of resolving this problem as if you are to put new brushes in how are you supposed to get them to go around the bar. Any diagrams or suggesions would be welcome. I took the car for an MOT today after knocking the brush back into place and it passed it's MOT but surely there must be some way of resolving this problem as every month the rubber brush seems to come out again. Any suggestions welcome.

Mr B

the bush on there now is plastic.

You unbolt the clip, slip the new rubber bush into place (it has a slot so it fits over the ARB) and re-tighten.

Probably with lots of swearing, cursing, bruising, muck and general lack of hilarity, but it is doable yourself, in not too much time, and with minimal tools.

Bret

Back