MOT time

Aikon

Past Member
Just picked the car up from the test centre with a pass certificate (wahey!), amusingly as I pulled out onto the road a headlamp bulb blew and the DIS warning came on!! How's that for lucky timing? Just need to change the darn thing now, I'm waiting til daylight!

headlamp bulb

last time I had a (nearside) headlamp bulb fail, I spent at least an hour trying to get the replacement locked in place. I gave up in the end and took it to the dealer... I hope you have better luck!

Bulb changes aren't tricky of you get the knack of it, and it's definitely a lot easier if you release the headlamp shell and bring it forwards (requires a torx driver, think it's a T27 or T30 from memory).

Cheers,

Mike

It's offside and thanks for the tip Skipton, I'll be doing it Friday afternoon when I have lots of time, any reccomendations for better bulbs?

Well, I've swapped mine out for HID bulbs, but short of this, you won't go far wrong with either Osram Silverstars or Philips Vision Plus, both recommended by AutoExpress.

Cheers,

Mike

Got the Phillips bulbs and set about fitting once the rain abated, despite not being able to see what you are doing I didn't find I needed to slacken the headlamp off and found it fairly easy really, until I dropped one of the bulbs!!! From the sounds it made on the way down I guessed it was on the undertray and then the fun started, I ended up taking the nearside wheel off and putting full left lock on so I could get my arm under the engine, i found it in the end, gave it a damn good clean and popped it in.

Kinda looked like I was doing something major as I had to get the jack from under the boot floor, the wheel brace and locking key from the drivers footwell, the front wheel off and the bonnet on the floor! All that for a headlamp bulb!

Back