Moving from 75 to 90 bhp

jayson

Not sure if there is a thread about this.I have owned my 75 tdi for 5 years now.I have just been offered a 90bhp tdi with 50 thous miles on the clock,05 plate.Do they suffer from any problems, gearbox, turbo, engine etc.Are they just as strong as the 75.My 75tdi has 97 thous miles on it.I dont want to change and spend money then wish I hadn't.

Hi jason the 90 uses a dual mass flywheel and this is costly to replace £450 if i remember correctly-it is first felt by the car having a vibration at idle causing the car to rock slightly. Gearbox is almost the same just ratios change so all good there. The turbo is variable geometry and this can soot up but can usually be cleaned out. I really wouldn't bother worrying as the 90 is a peach to drive. cheers mike

get it remapped then, ive heard variable vein turbos are unreliable, and this was enforced recently when my sisters octavia tdi's turbo went , she got a brand new one and that lasted about 8 months and luckily was replaced under warranty. get it mapped im getting mine done soon.

Not sure if there is a thread about this.I have owned my 75 tdi for 5 years now.I have just been offered a 90bhp tdi with 50 thous miles on the clock,05 plate.Do they suffer from any problems, gearbox, turbo, engine etc.Are they just as strong as the 75.My 75tdi has 97 thous miles on it.I dont want to change and spend money then wish I hadn't.

Hi,

In my humble opinion, if you drive a 90 first you may then forget all about the fear of an expensive dual mass replacement.

I do feel that the variable turbo seems quite solid and so to me it is just the possibility (and that is all that it is) that you may have Dual Mass problems in the future.

The 90 drives very differently to the 75 and feels stronger, more laid-back and quicker. Remap a 90 and you have more than enough power for an A2 !!!

Be careful, if you test drive a 90 after being used to a 75 you may be tempted to buy it!!!

Steve B

Or just get your 75 remapped - they go up to approx 100PS easily.
Good point. And a great option

A remapped 75 has quite a smooth delivery of power too.
I love the 90 it drives so well and the 75 remapped drives differently but just as nice.
But a remapped 90 is the ultimate for power.
If I was asked which I preferred I would find it difficult but if pushed I would say that the remapped 75 just has the edge over an unmapped 90 due to a slightly smoother power delivery.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks for the feadback mike,steve b etc.The mileage is genuine was just a little worried about the change.The extra power would be nice,just thought it was time for a change.Im looking at it the weekend but cant get the price any lower than 5grand.Im assured its imaculate so we will see.Does anyone have an idea of what mine is worth.I have an idea in mind its a 52 plate 1.4tdi in blue full history,not all audi but what isnt has been done by an audi machanic.97thous miles rear 3 seat bench se with fog lights.Im a car valeter so its well looked after.Thanks again.

Thanks for the feadback mike,steve b etc.The mileage is genuine was just a little worried about the change.The extra power would be nice,just thought it was time for a change.Im looking at it the weekend but cant get the price any lower than 5grand.Im assured its imaculate so we will see.Does anyone have an idea of what mine is worth.I have an idea in mind its a 52 plate 1.4tdi in blue full history,not all audi but what isnt has been done by an audi machanic.97thous miles rear 3 seat bench se with fog lights.Im a car valeter so its well looked after.Thanks again.

Valuing other mernber's cars is a bit like being asked by the wife which dress looks best. You can't win

On a general note a nice well maintained 2002 TDI tends to be worth high 2k or low to mid 3k

But that is a very broad guide.

Steve B

On a general note a nice well maintained 2002 TDI tends to be worth high 2k or low to mid 3k
But that is a very broad guide.
Steve B

After saying that, my son rang me earlier and told me that he ahs bought a TDI for his wife. A 2002, with some minor niggles, for £1.495 but he is much better at finding bargains than I am!!!

So that is now FIVE A2s in the family - Mine, my wife's, our two Daughter's and now our son's!!!!

Glad I invested in a VCDS some time ago!!! It gets lots of use and is a fantastic piece of kit to have.

Cheers
Steve B

After saying that, my son rang me earlier and told me that he ahs bought a TDI for his wife. A 2002, with some minor niggles, for £1.495 but he is much better at finding bargains than I am!!!

So that is now FIVE A2s in the family - Mine, my wife's, our two Daughter's and now our son's!!!!

Glad I invested in a VCDS some time ago!!! It gets lots of use and is a fantastic piece of kit to have.

Cheers
Steve B

Five a2's wow.My wife keeps saying she wants one now.Im seriously thinking about keeping mine now.I got a audi mechanic looking at it tommorow to see what the knock is.The 90bhp im supposed to be looking at on wednesday but he wont drop below £5200 and im not sure if i really want to spend that sort of money or just keep going with the one i got.

Five a2's wow.My wife keeps saying she wants one now.Im seriously thinking about keeping mine now.I got a audi mechanic looking at it tommorow to see what the knock is.The 90bhp im supposed to be looking at on wednesday but he wont drop below £5200 and im not sure if i really want to spend that sort of money or just keep going with the one i got.

We have three 75 TDis that are untouched (power wise)
One 75 that has been remapped (to 105)
One 90

The three 75s are absolutely fine as you know
The remapped 75 is JUST about my favourite
The 90 is like a different car to the 75 altogether (and in a nice way)

Perhaps the best option for you would be to consider remapping the 75? Better the devil you know and all that (or buy the 90 as well!)

Steve B

We have three 75 TDis that are untouched (power wise)
One 75 that has been remapped (to 105)
One 90

The three 75s are absolutely fine as you know
The remapped 75 is JUST about my favourite
The 90 is like a different car to the 75 altogether (and in a nice way)

Perhaps the best option for you would be to consider remapping the 75? Better the devil you know and all that (or buy the 90 as well!)

Steve B

eBay item number:

121392232451.This is the one im looking at tommorow,i decided as long as it looks as good as it does in the pics.Fingers crossed.

eBay item number:

121392232451.This is the one im looking at tommorow,i decided as long as it looks as good as it does in the pics.Fingers crossed.

VERY VERY nice and the price seems fair for that low mileage and year.

I hope it is as nice as it looks / sounds.

Good luck!!!
Steve B

So guys,Been to look at the A2 i been banging on about.Set of on the two hour trip,all excited.Now for £5200 50thous mile car i was expecting a mint one.Yep i know its 9 years old but to me thats top money as my A2 is excellant for a 52 plate 97thous miler.I was expecting the odd stone chip,faint scratch or even a pin dent.Pulled up in bristol,these guys deal in a2s so there was a few dotted about.I think i spent 5mins looking at it.Now i hpi it so everything was good 2 owners etc.The car looked like it had done 150thous and had a hard life..Big scuff about a foot long on the front bumper,back bumper was not lined up either side,passenger door had had paintwork and wouldnt shut properly catching badly on sill.Looked like a dog had been living in the boot whitch didnt even have the false floor.I could carry on but to say i was dissapointed is an understatment.In my eyes it should have been a lot better,the rest of the a2s that were parked up didnt look much better.So please beware of these traders and there discriptions!At least i only wasted some of my time and fuel,but a good drive up in my a2.

Sorry to hear that.

there are a few dealers around like that.

As I have said before "You will have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince/ess"

Steve B

Thats a shame to hear. I'm sure another member on here bought one from them recently and was very pleased. I know each car has to be judged on its own merit but I would have thought for that money that they would have sorted those issues out before trying to sell it.

What was their reaction like when you said you weren't interested?

Thats a shame to hear. I'm sure another member on here bought one from them recently and was very pleased. I know each car has to be judged on its own merit but I would have thought for that money that they would have sorted those issues out before trying to sell it.

What was their reaction like when you said you weren't interested?

The guy hardly said anything,Gave me a false description really.Told him what I thought of the car. was litterly there 5 mins.Personally I don't think the presentation of cars was any good.But that's just me,everybody is different.But definatley not £5000 worth of car.

So guys,Been to look at the A2 i been banging on about.Set of on the two hour trip,all excited.Now for £5200 50thous mile car i was expecting a mint one.Yep i know its 9 years old but to me thats top money as my A2 is excellant for a 52 plate 97thous miler.I was expecting the odd stone chip,faint scratch or even a pin dent.Pulled up in bristol,these guys deal in a2s so there was a few dotted about.I think i spent 5mins looking at it.Now i hpi it so everything was good 2 owners etc.The car looked like it had done 150thous and had a hard life..Big scuff about a foot long on the front bumper,back bumper was not lined up either side,passenger door had had paintwork and wouldnt shut properly catching badly on sill.Looked like a dog had been living in the boot whitch didnt even have the false floor.I could carry on but to say i was dissapointed is an understatment.In my eyes it should have been a lot better,the rest of the a2s that were parked up didnt look much better.So please beware of these traders and there discriptions!At least i only wasted some of my time and fuel,but a good drive up in my a2.

Hi Jayson,

I am a bit surprised because the pictures do not show that condition at all???

There is no mark on the front bumper that I can see in the photos?
In fact just looking at the photos it seems pretty good.

I suppose that it just goes to show you that pictures can be misleading (hopefully not intentionally?)

Good luck with the ongoing search.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back