MPG In A2 Diesel / Servicing etc. (Yes I'm new!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

Hi All,

I've just collected an ex-demo A2 TDi SE with 6K on the clock and was wondering what MPG I can expect to get out of it. I do the usual selection of driving (school run and running around) etc..

Whats an average service on an A2 Diesel cost?

Which flavour diesel do people use the Ultra low sulpher diesel or city diesel or what ?

And whats all this about windscreen wiper(s), Whats wrong with the normal one?

Cheers

Craig.
A2 TDi Se, Dolphin Grey, V.Nice.

60 mpg
30k intervals so no first hand but about £110 I think from others
Makes no odds
Nothing

icon_smile_cool.gif

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the A2 family. :D

I do pretty low mileage trips in my TDI and still maintain from 55 => 58mpg consistantly. Still 11,200 miles off my first service, so not surely of real costs, and regarding the wiper, I have the 'problem' designed type however I have no complaints with mine.

Kaine

A2 1.4Tdi SE | black | red leather | Concert | Open Sky | A2OC Stickers x2

Craig,

If the school run, and running around amounts to very short town trips to Tesco’s including stopping and starting (especially in extremely cold weather), its very unlikely to give you the 60mpg that other owners mention. Indeed I reckon a worst scenario could be as low as 35/38mpg, however this is no fault of the A2 when no diesel engine can give its best in the worst of conditions.

From my general experiences you really do need warm air temperatures, the ability to retain a constant speed, and a decent lengthy mileage (like say 15 miles) before you can hope to see the best in fuel consumption.

Regards
John Disdale

my A2 averages 55 mpg brim to brim, 58 mpg according to the DIS on relatively short journeys, the worst i've experienced is 52 mpg and my car has only travelled 1560 miles, so i presume this can only improve, from what i'm to believe diesel engines need a good 10000 miles before they are trly "run in". As for the wiper my car was factory build in august came with the older style wiper, no problems at all with clearing or noise, works perfectly. One additional point, poorer fuel economy experienced form the cleaner forms of diesel, e.g low sulphur stuff, desulphurising fuel reduces it's density which in turn reduces the energy content per gallon, hence if you drive on the continent you will see improved mpg, this is because their diesel isn't as "clean" as ours, anyway that's enough chemistry, just enjoy your A2.

Also getting 55-60 mpg from my TDI, averaging at 56.6 mpg (according to my geeky spreadsheet) over 7500 miles. Living as I do in the Highlands, have noticed considerable effect of the colder conditions in the last month - mpg per tank now around 55, as against the 60 or so I was getting back in August/Sep.

For certain there are countless TDI owners on this forum who have the DIS facility fitted, so if you are one of them and live in a town/city environment where countless stop start and gear changes are required for each half mile, then I would be interested in the end result of the following simple “school run” type test.

If the car is started from stone cold (with an air temp of around 50F) and the car is driven through heavy traffic (with a few passengers), then at the end of 2 miles what is the MPG reading. Is it really 60mpg, or is it more like 38mpg ?

For the record in my Golf TDI I have achieved 64mpg as best, but under the circumstances which I have described above (where it might take 5 minutes to pull out of a junction) I only get a very poor 33mpg.

Regards
John Disdale

John,
This simply confirms the A2 supremacy in the fuel department.
Your niblick is larger in the engine dept and the weight dept. The 'problem' scenarios are magnified. Most measly diesly owners seem to concur with the 55-60 mpg scenario. [^]

icon_smile_cool.gif

Even on the school run, which I often do, I would expect mid 40's from my TDi. As soon as it gets going on the open road, the DIS clicks up to mid 50's to low 60's.

Regarding servicing, I am getting 32k miles between services, and tyres - fronts giving 28k and rears still plenty of tread on the originals at 46k on the clock.

Paul
1.4TDi, leather, Open Sky, BOSE, 6 CD, alu trim, cruise, DIS, etc. etc.

On inner-city driving I get about 63 mpg... (mostly short runs). Normal motorway driving is around 81 mpg (the lowest I ever got was 88 mpg, not that I ever reached the 94 mpg the car is supposed to be capable of). On a normal mix of motorway and city I get about 70 mpg.
My service indicator says first service at 35000 km... although I may have to bring the car in early (my mum had the car for a few days and put in half a litre of normal, not-longlife oil).

Bye, Frido (it´s really hard to convert l/100 km to mpg for my mathematically challenged mind..:)

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS, Apple iPod :)

Come on you lot join in the fun, start accurately testing and stop guessing.

Out of interest at the end of the 2 mile run I would also be interested to ascertain how much the temperature gauge has climbed towards the normal marker ?

What I do know is that if I travel on the so called school run roads during a “non active” period my MPG will significantly increase, however this I feel does not address Craig’s original question. Of course its impossible for any of us to have identical town scenes, but for many local areas that I know the roads are brought into chaos at times of schools opening or closing, and it is these circumstances to which I refer – not gliding down the motorway or free wheeling down mountains in the outback.

I always have a great grin when “Frido” mentions his brilliant fuel consumption, and this says much over the differences between the 1.2 & 1.4 TDI models. That difference seems very real.

Regards
John Disdale

@ John:

But you pay for that difference with a lot of technology that may (and in my case, once already has) break down, like the automatic transmission and the start/stop-feature...
And you have to live with even longer waiting times for parts that are special to the A2 (and higher prices, like for the tires). If I had the choice again, I would buy a 1.4TDI...

Bye, Frido.

----

Frido,

I'm getting

2.7 - 3.0 l/100km on country road ( 104.6 - 94.2 mpg )
3.2 - 3.7 l/100km on motorway ( 88.3 - 76.3 mpg )

It's interesting that there are some motorways were I always consume much more than on others, without driving faster or changing altitude above sea level. I suppose this is caused by different paving, that some motorways use a rougher paving than others (apart from the obvious difference between asphalt and concrete).

Btw, I used a the unit conversion calculater at http://www.processassociates.com/process/convert/cf_gen.htm together with a normal calculater (to invert the result).

Martin
(who would never ever exchange his 1.2 TDI with a 1.4 TDI)

@Martin: Do you run with A/C on or off? Even with A/C off and ECOmode on I don´t get anywhere near your results....:-(

And don´t get me wrong, I´m happy with my 1.2 at the moment, but I´m afraid if all the complicated technology won´t start to act up in a couple of years...

Bye, Frido.

----

JD,

After a fortnightly sunday morning TESCO fill up, I am only doing work trips for 5 days. During these five days I clock about 40 miles and only manage around 45-48mpg (DIS). Only after a the first weekend does it start to move up to the mid/late 50's.

My time to work is 10/15 mins (approx 3 miles), and the temo needle doesn't even start to move in this journey.

Kaine

Kaine,

This business of driving (during the winter) with an engine that never achieves its proper running temperature really bothers me – so much so that if only driving 3 or 4 miles I actually put myself out to increase the mileage and thus increase the temp up to normal. Of course this process means that I am using even more fuel, but it makes me feel happier for the car.

Your 45/48mpg under the circumstances that you describe is I reckon very good, but tell me are you stop starting stop starting, and sitting in traffic jams, or are you basically cruising along. I specifically ask this when literally this afternoon I went on the school run route way after the chaos had finished I ascertained that over 4 miles (2 each way) my poor 33mpg went up to 43mpg. The beneficial factor being no traffic jams, and 14 junctions that were easy to go round almost without stopping. As it was today was hardly a winters day with an air temp of 55F, so I reckoned that helped a fair bit.

This is not suppose to be a sexist question, but have you noticed that manufacturers have stop fitting directional indicators into cars owned by females ? I can but only presume that they opted instead for the warning message stating “caution children on board”.

Regards
John Disdale

John,

I live and work on the outskirts of a town, therefore my journey is basically smooth with only two roundabouts to slow me down. A few months back, we had a few weekends at home, and only accumulated about 300 miles in the month, all from short journeys. From memory the DIS recorded approx 47mpg.
I have been considering cycling/walking to work every day however seem to always make excuses for myself. :)

Kaine

On my first 22.000 km i my A2 1,2 TDI it runs in average 3,7 l/100 km. You can actualy see the my economy in a diagram placed at A2 owners club site.
And I get the same result as Martin on Contry Road and Highway driving. But I have found out, that the tripcomputer too optimistic, compared to real mesurements. If the computer says 3,2 l/100km, its more likly 3,4 - 3,5 l/100 km.

Jesper Lindholdt
Audi A2 TDI 3l

@Jesper: Hmmm. Maybe something is wrong with my A2, or my foot ist just too heavy to archieve such low fuel consumption... but I too have noticed that the DIS is too optimistic...

Bye, Frido.

----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back