MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Storm

I'm bored with trying to get good mpg on my FSi, so i now try to beat my record of 16 mpg !! Has anyone bettered that and if so can i have some tips. And why does the traction control cut in sooooo early spoils any fun at roundabouts

Why the question is why not. Yes i do mean lower, i set a challenge, i love the cars quirky looks and build quality but Audi missed that vital thing 'FUN' and yes on average the fuel economy is good.

But get out in your car and try to better 16 mpg, guarantee it'll put a smile on your face !

First gear everywhere [2]

;)

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I find "Neutral" gives the most disappointing mpg. With the DIS you can just watch the mpg tumble backward in traffic jams!
Suggest you fill up in a garage, drive over to the edge of the forecourt & rev the engine for a couple of hours. Assuming the police havent been called by then!

Just been doing some sums on my 1.6FSI MPG...

In 6026 miles I have used 829.39 litres of Fuel (Mostly Optimax)... works out at 33.03 MPG averaged over full amount (Therefore combined). VCA thinks I should be getting 47.1! Gimme a break!

But get this... I get out of my 'dirty' Volvo S40 T4 to get into the 'clean' A2 to keep the taxman from r*ping me and the greens happy... only thing is there isnt a whole heap diff in MPG. The T4 got 27.95 MPG over 28880 miles! (VCA think it should be 31.7)

Over 30k miles I would use an extra 165.08 litres in the Volvo! Woopee (note sarcasm)

[15]
So given the fairly small difference... why did I have to give up a 200HP large car to drive a 105HP small car just to keep the taxman off my back???[3]

Biggest difference is I have to cane the A2 everywhere instead of just driving the T4 normally to get the same performance.

So much for a 'Fuel Efficient Car"! (And I dont wanna here any gobby comments from you chipped euro4 TDI owners either [11])

Cheers
Rod

Just out of curiosity... 16mpg over what timeframe???

Instant in the DIS? Averaged by the DIS during a 'session'? Average over a tankful?

Need a new challenge... just wanna know the rules [23]

...Think I might start using my drive time in the DIS for my trip to work... hmmm[19]

Cheers
Rod

I was suprised at my MPG. Ok, it was a new car, but around town I was getting less in the 1.4 petrol A2 than my 1.6 Seat Leon.

But as you say, this was to get some performance out of it-I could have driven with a lighter right foot.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Agree, totally! I'm always stuck in London traffic and my MPG has been about 25. I know I can drive with a lighter foot but then the car isn't that powerful for those short bursts of green lights.

I perhaps have matched ~16mpg at some point over about 1/8 tank of fuel (normal Shell, not optimax :). No less than 3.5k rpm to pull away, no less than 4.5k rpm before changing up will get you that mpg quite easily in traffic. Shame about the traction control too, can't properly switch it off for that extra bit of fun.

humps
1.4SE Cobalt Blue, Bose and leather

humps

I thought you turn off traction control in an A2-I'm sure I could when I had mine. The dealer told me it may be useful in heavy snow when the traction control could become confused by all the slipping wheels and suchlike. Press the little button down by the gearchange and the light illuminates on the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back