Mpg

driver8013

A2OC Donor
Just got back from a short break in Bude Cornwall, a round trip of 760 mile and returned a brilliant 69 mpg, we got stuck in traffic on the M6 from Stafford up to Knutsford so the mpg could have been even better...

That's excellent! Without the traffic jams and A roads in cornwall, you'd have been comfortably over 70mpg.

Well done. These cars are well capable of 70mpg if driven in the right conditions....80 is now your next target :)

My best so far is 78mpg over 300 miles......80 is indeed a tough target.....it'll happen one day I hope.

My best so far is 78mpg over 300 miles......80 is indeed a tough target.....it'll happen one day I hope.

I hope so, too! I'm had well over 70 before, but my best over the course of a full tank is 71.2mpg.

Well just done my worse MPG's a 43 and a 44. Not done any long runs at all just very short runs to work in the cold and the engine not warming up (+webasto running), got some long runs coming up + back on my scooter for work again so will take the short runs off the car

Phil

Even the hypermiling guru, Mike Mars, hasn't done 80mpg yet!

Most of us have probably done 80+ mpg on individual* journeys without realising it, it's getting a whole tank to a decent score which is tricky! ... for 80, I think I may need to get out & push the whole way :) (In fact competitors in the extreme mpg competitions sometimes actually do this when starting off).

* Wind in the right direction, downhill, engine already hot, luck with the lights... all factors which can benefit a single journey but not a whole tank

Last edited:
I've had 79mpg over a tank in the last year and quite a few well into the 70's ... 80mpg is easily possible. I don't have any aero mods, nor any gearing mods either... It's all down to driving style (and weather). ;)

I've had 79mpg from a tank and quite a few in the 70's since using Fuelly. 80mpg + is quite easily possible. I don't have any aero or gearing mods either... It's all down to your driving style and the weather !! ;)

Don't forget that there can be a variation of 4-5 litres from one tank to the next based on how it was refuelled.

This can introduce big errors. For example, because the guy at Shell insisted on refuelling my recent tank (#34), it was roughly a gallon short of where I would have filled it to (and hence it gave a supposed mpg of 82 which was grossly inaccurate). This also caused the following tank (#35) to be inaccurate in the opposite direction. I had to add the two tanks together to get a sensible result. In my own MPG tracking spreadsheet I use a 3-point rolling average.

Last edited:
Coool !!!! You still have people to refuel your car for you?? What were they called?? Ahhh that's it... Pump attendants.... I remember those back in the 80's or earlier.... Where do you live Mike??? :cool:

Personally, I always refuel at the same garage 99% of the time (30 yards from my house) and always use either one of two pumps and always refuel to the first click off and no more. I am happy that my figures are spot on from tank to tank.

Coool !!!! You still have people to refuel your car for you?? What were they called?? Ahhh that's it... Pump attendants.... I remember those back in the 80's or earlier.... Where do you live Mike??? :cool:

It was a Shell south of the new tunnel on the A3 (northbound). I think it is some sort of new gimmick. They had cameras rolling & the place was flooded with attendants.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/P...es-days-gone/story-15019088-detail/story.html
Remember the days when it was all about customer service, when an attendant actually served you?

Well, part of that equation is now back.

It's pouring with rain, cold, and yes, it has to be said, pretty damn miserable.

Which makes the thought of getting out of the car and fiddling with a petrol cap on the forecourt of my local garage all a bit of a pain.

But hang on!

For as I drive up, a smiling attendant greets me and asks if I want him to do it for me.

Y-E-S please!

£25 worth of diesel later and I'm done and off I go.

In a hark back to another era, bosses at Shell Halfway in Swansea's Blackpill have brought in a petrol pump attendant.

Remember them?

They used to be everywhere. The pump attendant filled up your tank at a time when supermarkets were a rarity, so there was a grocer's shop on almost every corner. Just about the most high-tech gadget you could get inside a garage was a ballpoint pen with a tungsten carbide tip. There were no desktop computers and telephones were clumping great Bakelite contraptions with slow dials.

Back then drivers would hand their cash out of the window and drive off when the attendant gave them the thumbs up. It was a priceless facility for mothers who didn't want to leave their children alone in the car or unbuckle them to queue and pay inside. Not to mention smart-suited chaps who didn't want to get their hands dirty, or little old ladies who weren't quite sure which side the filler cap was on.

It could also be quite an exotic experience — you might find yourself pulling up at a quaintly thatched service station and even having your fuel dispensed from pumps with their own thatched roofs.

Alternatively, you might find your fuel being pumped from a novelty lighthouse. But service always came with a smile.

Shell say the Swansea project is one of a number getting off the ground across the UK.

"We believe this will improve and enhance our service, and we will carefully review how customers respond," adds a spokesman.

I think I shall invest in a taser just in case it happens again. They can't complain about that, since I'll just point out that it's diesel not petrol & hence the vapour won't ignite :)

Last edited:
I filled the tank to the top of the neck then refilled it to the top after my journey, then i divided the total litres by 4.546 (giving me the gallons used) then divided this into my total miles. My journey to Cornwall was a mixture of motorway (including a lot of traffic jams), dual carriageway, A roads and minor coast roads (plus a little bit of my boy racer coming out...haha) overall i think i did very well. :cool:

I filled the tank to the top of the neck then refilled it to the top after my journey, then i divided the total litres by 4.546 (giving me the gallons used) then divided this into my total miles. My journey to Cornwall was a mixture of motorway (including a lot of traffic jams), dual carriageway, A roads and minor coast roads (plus a little bit of my boy racer coming out...haha) overall i think i did very well. :cool:

After all that and you still didn't say what you got ????????

Phil

Back