Multibox owners (or experts) in here please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ade

Well I bought one of these rear footwell cup holder thingies (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1017), dead easy to fit most of it, I say most of it as I'm having trouble locating two screw holes to the rear of it (hold the rear retention bracket).

I would guess that they are under the carpeting, but I am loather to rip it. Is there an easy way to peel it back (hopefully to reveal 2 holes) or would it be wise for a trip to the dealer perhaps (as long as they don't charge at £75/hr?

Just for info, it is pretty secure even when not screwed in (takes a good wrench to get it off), cost £39 inc VAT and works wonders just as it is. It's even simple to clip in and out. You just push a button and off it comes. Well worth a retrofit (if you can figure out where these holes are :) )

Audi A2 1.4SE
Build Wk40/2002 | OpenSky | Azure Blue | Climate | DIS | APS | Lumbar

Ade
A bit of a stab in the dark, but if you don't want to lift the carpet, how about sticking a pin through the carpet where you expect the holes to be (through the bracket).

Trouble is I don't want you to puncture something on the other side!!!!.

And I would expect the holes to be filled with a grommet or suchlike so maybe not a good idea at all!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Ade

Think about it. The rear bracket is fitted over the carpet at the factory (or mine is.) You know where the screws must go into the floorpan. It's inconceivable Audi would make a floorpan that's different for cars with this accessory. Therefore they just put sharp screws through the carpet into the aluminium floorpan (very likely) or they have holes ready drilled in every floorpan and sealed at the factory with mastic on the 99% of cars that do not have this accessory (most unlikely.)

Of course you could look under the car.

You do know there are felt buffers stuck to the centre console to stop the cuphodler rattling, don't you?

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Agree with what you're saying and I have put it in place to assess where the holes should go, it doesn't look that difficult and I'm not the bluntest tool in the box, I just like to be careful. By the way, the screws are really bolts about 7mm thick (with a star-head) so the holes must be ready drilled.

I peered behind the carpet (the screws go horizontally into the rising floorpan bit up to the seat, not vertically into the floor (according to the diagram they supplied anyway). Instead of seeing holes I saw two silver bolt heads. I am loathed to unscrew them as something might fall off the other side?

I guess I'll go see the dealer.

Audi A2 1.4SE
Build Wk40/2002 | OpenSky | Azure Blue | Climate | DIS | APS | Lumbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back