Multifunc wheel & CANbus, is it possible?

carsen80

A2OC Donor
I would like to fit the standard multifunction steering wheel and I have read elsewhere on the forum that a CANbus car is needed.
I have a 02 plate A2 TDI SE which was built towards the end of 2001. I am aware that the A2 did not go fully CANbus until sometime in 2002 however I was wondering if a car had a particular set of factory options would they have fitted the full CANbus system to it?
My car already has RNS-D & DIS2 fitted from the factory so there must some elements of CANbus already fitted.
So before I start my long quest, scouring the scrape yards of the land for what I need can a multifunction steering wheel be fitted to my car?
If it can I believe I need the
wheel & air bag, Slip ring, Multifunction wheel control box and any loom which connects them.
Have I missed anything ? and does anyone know any part numbers?
Many thanks for any info you can provide.
Cheers

If you have full DIS then you almost certainly have all the CAN elements that are needed.

No A2 is fully CAN optimised - they only every use CAN for the infotainment systems.

You will need a slip ring with all the pins connected front to back (test yours first to see if it's already done) and then you'll need a wheel and to custom make a loom.

The alternative is to go for a newer style wheel with thumb roller buttons and to use an A4 steering electronics control module to interface it with the car - this is what I've done and it's a much more elegant solution than the original push button wheels.

Cheers,

Mike

Back