My 1.6 FSI Problems - help please before I take it to Audi. :(

Dear all on A2OC!

I have just returned from holiday - where I did in total 1200 miles in my A2.

After getting to France a week ago, after about 150 miles, the EML came on. This has happened once before so I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and it went away. However, 10 miles later the EML came back on and refused to extinguish when disconnecting the battery.
The car appears to drive OK - certainly isnt in 'safe mode or limp mode'. There is power and no strange noises for concern.

The light remained on for the remaining 1000 miles and just as I got back in to the UK the light went off by itself.

I did a VAG scan with VAG Free before I went and I got a fault -17439 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (N316): Setpoint Not Reached.

The car on start up sometimes has a weird issue with idling - usually fine but sometimes it'll go up to around 12/1300 RPM then make a choking noise and the revs will drop then it will settle.

Also it seems to drive differently day to day - Yes I know that sounds weird which is why I think its the inlet manifold.

Sometimes it feels dead under 2800RPM (where its in flaps closed mode?????) and it'll be a noticable jump between power off and on mode. And sometimes the transition is more smooth.

Really not sure what to do guys, I can do basic mechanics but dont have any knowledge of this sort of thing. Dont want to throw £££££s at Audi on Monday :(

I would really appreciate anything that could help!
Joe Galway

joe,
the dead spot on these engines is normal, not a fault. I only notice it in mine if trying to pull away from almost stationery in second gear...once out of this zone the car takes off like a scalded cat. I assume you are running on 97ron (or even 99ron) fuel as standard unleaded in this engine is not good long term.
As for the fault code, spikes link is a good place to start!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it :)

I'll take a look at the link now.

Yes I always have run it on 97 RON in the 5 months I've had it apart from the occasional time where I couldnt get it.

What about the idling problem? Air leak can cause the poor idling i've heard?

Thanks again guys,
Joe.

Found some FORTE engine cleaner in my garage from when my Cabrio failed a MOT and remembered I put this in and it sorted it.

Blew car through with an Italian Tune Up and tbh it runs much nicer now.....Fault code still there.

Similar issue to what we had last year....first was an air leak, then we had the intake manifold flaps issue....had them free'd up but in the end they needed replacing...now runs fine.

Hi there Draggon,

Cost? I know stealers will charge around £1k for this? Rough guess.

Joe.

Similar issue to what we had last year....first was an air leak, then we had the intake manifold flaps issue....had them free'd up but in the end they needed replacing...now runs fine.

I think mine came in at around £600....but we only paid about £200 as £400 came from warranty direct.

Back