My A2 is a non starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeremy Knight

Hi,
We imported our A2 about one year ago.Until we got the extended warranty the local dealer was very off hand.
The car has refused to start SIX TIMES all the warning lights flash on and the car has to be trailered into the dealer.The dealer claims it is a one off but I am not so sure.
Have other members experienced similar problems and any advice as to how I can get this problem really sorted?
Jeremy

Jeremy
Welcome-and bad luck.

What has the reasons given so far by the dealer for the non-starts?. Electrical (ECU?) or mechanical?.

And why the dearler stuffiness?. They have to honour at least the first year warranty. Who is the dealer?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi All
thank you for making me so welcome.
The problem seems to reside in the dash board and computer system.They have reset the computert two times we have had a new installation that requires re-programming the keys and they have replaced the dash.
This weekend my wife was in the Milton Keynes area ,we live in Norfolk,when she tried to start the car having driven around in it all day it wouldn't start -my wife called the RAC waited an hour and when they arrived -it started!
The stiffiness of the local dealer is because they are anti-importsand that is abundantly clear by their attitude. This is re-inforced by Audi who use the registration date in Germany as the date the Guarantee runs from not the date in this country. In our case the car was registered in Germany in Oct 2001 but The car was registered in this country in April 2002 so Audi said the car only had 6 Months guarantee even though it only had 6 miles on the clock.
I have heard that Top gear was saying that audi's and vw have had problems of this nature
Any one know anything.
The worst thing is every morning you don't know whether the car will start it is the most unreliable car I have ever had!!
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum!

It does sound like you may have a one off - I haven't heard of such a bad case before but then other owners have had other problem which have driven them to selling their A2.

Personally, mine has been spotlessly reliable and dependable from the beginning.

sd1.jpg

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

That photo was taken the day I picked it up from the dealer, even with all of smartie's cleaning equipment he gave me, I doubt I will ever be able to get it that shiny again!!

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

You could get as shiny as that again but you would have to give me a large cheque!!

2002 1.6 FSI Azure Blue DIS Blue Interior

Jeremy
You live in Norfolk then-me too. The dealer isn't Robinsons in Norwich is it.....??

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi Ade,
Funny you should say that -why did you have a complete replacement?
Jeremy

Jeremy-I presume it was me and we are talking about Robinsons?. If so I will fill you in, but I will say now they were appaling.

Sorry about MIsID
Hi Runboy
please tell me more and why did you get a replacement?

Jeremy
I give you a brief history now and more later when I've got time to write it!.

Basically bought A2 in June from Robinsons Norwich and had the following problems:

FM reception went (loose connection)
Dealer damaged dashboard whilst attempting to fix above problem meaning whole new CC unit needed
Noise from engine (the good old exhaust gas recirculation valve issue) which dealer said was standard
Very hard ride which turned out to be an incomplete PDI where the dealer had left the front suspension delivery packing in place meaning little or no front suspension travel. Car was like driving a horse cart-drinks actually coming out of holders when I hit one bump.

So I created and dealer eventually gave me a replacement A2.

Then I had problems with that-wheel bearing replaced, wrong wipers fitted, hatch problems, rattles etc etc.

All this time the dealer would not apologise for problems, would not tell me that my car was not ready for collection so I would turn up and they had forgotten about me. About 10 dealer visits and no compensation.

So I sold the thing and got a Toyota.

Good luck if your dealing with Robinsons-they do not have a good name locally (I have tried both the VW and Merc sales side of Robinsons and they are just as bad). Stick at them and be forceful for what you want.

Runboy
that is interesting our problem is that other than the not starting we love the car it is exactly what we wanted.Robinsons have now given us a loan car for about two weeks so they can find the problem.We shall see what happens.
By the way at the tender age of 87 and 89 my parents have just bought a new car.They were impressed with the A2 and wanted one til I put them off.What have they just taken delivery of I hear you ask? Toyota corolla 2litre diesel Spirit with Sat. Nav!!(My parents can't work a video)but it is a very well put together motor.
Jeremy -Non starting A2

Jeremy
Yep, as you see from my signature, I went from A2 to Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit. Nice car, a few rattles and the dealer taking 4 attempts to fix a small crash repair (I hit someone 3 days after delivery..argh!) but apart from that I like it. Fast little devil too.

I had a diesel for a loan car last week-not bad. A tad noisy but fast when on the move. I take it your parents have the basic satnav (built into the radio unit) or did they go for full colour?.

Did they get it from Dingles?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back