My EGR Mystery....

J3FVW

On Saturday my mechanic mate paid me and my 1.4 petrol SE a visit. He removed the EGR valve, worked some magic, and put it back on the car.

Instantly it cleared the warning light from the dash and everything appeared fine. Later that day I had to do a short journey (8 miles) and after six miles the light came back on again.

I was slightly peeved and thought the valve must be faulty so prepared myself for a hefty purchase from the dealers. The car was moved to wash it on Sunday and the light was still on and I drove to work on Monday with the warning still on the dash.

However when I started the car on Monday evening to drive back home the warning light had gone and (touch wood) still hasn't returned. Weird.

My mate muttered something on Saturday about ECU's will usually allow three ignition on/off cycles for non critical faults before deciding whether the warning should be displayed. Could it be possible that my EGR fault is now cured and the car has taken three on/off cycles to arrive at that conclusion?

Mine came on and off at random for 2 years even after having £500 thrown at 2x experts. Never effected the driving or mpg or MOT test results.

In fact it quite a pretty orange, sort of like an old friend in the car with you.

Mine came on and off at random for 2 years even after having £500 thrown at 2x experts. Never effected the driving or mpg or MOT test results.

In fact it quite a pretty orange, sort of like an old friend in the car with you.
It's running like a dream but the orange light was more like an old friend I'd really never like to see again....hopefully I won't!! :)

Maybe the valve was slightly sticking and after running through a few heat cycles as such from driving as it would heat up with the engine and also cool when youv stopped it has sorted itself out now its clean and worked itself unstuck,
I found the 1.4 petrols EGR valve a fiddle some thing to clean as to the shape of the ports inside and having to use a bent coat hanger to actually work the valve free and constant spraying with cleaner while scrubbing with a tooth brush as its in such an awkward place to get at the sealing valve itself..

-Gary

Maybe the valve was slightly sticking and after running through a few heat cycles as such from driving as it would heat up with the engine and also cool when youv stopped it has sorted itself out now its clean and worked itself unstuck,
I found the 1.4 petrols EGR valve a fiddle some thing to clean as to the shape of the ports inside and having to use a bent coat hanger to actually work the valve free and constant spraying with cleaner while scrubbing with a tooth brush as its in such an awkward place to get at the sealing valve itself..

-Gary
I hope you are right. I was on a high when my mate sorted it, quickly back onto a low when the light returned and now I'm wondering if it will make another appearance each time I turn the ignition on. Funny things these EGR valves :)

Back