My first A2

Hi,

Picked up my 'new' car yesterday – a 2001 1.4 FSI. If anyone's interested, it's the very car that appears on page 100 of the current issue of Modern Classics magazine. I bought it from the editor, and am a contributor myself so the A2 will continue to appear regularly in their 'Our Cars' pages.

Very regularly if the first day is anything to go by. Despite being sorted and fresh from getting a new MoT, an engine light came on on the way home. Not sure which and what it means as the handbook is missing... Also, when I happened to be passing the front door last night I noticed the hazard lights were flashing, so disamed the alarm system, which seemed to discourage it. Plenty to learn about and fix already then. Any suggestions on either of the above gratefully received...

Those aside, I did enjoy driving it for the first time (yes, I bought it without even seeing the car – well except that photo on p100 of MC:eek:) and found it surprisingly lively and a lot more comfortable than expected. And I like the fact that you hardly see them now, though I did chase a really nice black one along the A14 out of Cambridge the other day.

Anyway, hello!

Welcome to the forum and the delights of A2 ownership.

Great to read of your involvement in Modern Classics magazine which ticks reference boxes to these special little cars all day long. Fantastic to learn that your example will feature going forward; a great advert for the car. Perhaps in a future iteration there might be an opportunity to mention this forum/community too?

I digress, the forum is awash with enthusiastic and knowledgeable owners and there is an abundance of information on these pages. There is also an active social scene with the next event taking place at Duxford on 25th September - not a million miles from you at all if you fancy it.

A2Steve will be along in due course to officially welcome you. Pictures are always welcome.

If you can describe the warning light, I'm sure we can help.

Cheers,

Darren

Reactions: dlp
At the risk of infringing any copyright, I have taken a small section only from the quick reference guide which might help diagnose your warning indication.

As an aside, if you search for 'Audi A2 quick reference guide' you can locate the complete document. Furthermore, handbooks are available on eBay for a reasonable price - check the market though as prices vary.

A2.pdf Google Chrome, Today at 08.38.18.png

Thanks for that – the light is the 'Fault in engine management system' one. So that will need some investigation. I'll check posts on the forum later today for clues, and I have asked Keith as there was mention of haven't something fixed and an engine light extinguished. Think he's at Goodwood today though. I've also asked him about the car's handbook, which may be on his desk or similar. If not, as you say it will be easy to get another one.

And I will definitely be mentioning the A2OC in my write-ups. Will try and make the Duxford meet, though we do already have a local event in the calendar for that day, in Milton Park, so will see if I can do both. It isn't far to Duxford:D

Good morning

Welcome to the A2 owners club, great to have you onboard. Great to see that the A2 is getting links to the words modern and classic.

By now you should you should have received a pm (private message) containing lots of useful information about the club.*

You can access this by clicking on the word 'Notifications' at the very top of this page.**

It looks like this if you are viewing in the desktop site

db4eo.jpg

Or by clicking on the envelope symbol if you are using tapatalk

5o8bhu.jpg

I hope you find it a friendly place to be with lots of useful information.*

Best wishes

Steve

(A2Steve) Member relations*

Last edited:
Reactions: dlp
Welcome!

Enjoy your new A2 and being part of this friendly forum

Let me know if your handbook is missing. I have one in excellent condition its original leather wallet which needs an owner!

Regards

Hilary

Thanks for that – the light is the 'Fault in engine management system' one. So that will need some investigation. I'll check posts on the forum later today for clues, and I have asked Keith as there was mention of haven't something fixed and an engine light extinguished. Think he's at Goodwood today though. I've also asked him about the car's handbook, which may be on his desk or similar. If not, as you say it will be easy to get another one.

And I will definitely be mentioning the A2OC in my write-ups. Will try and make the Duxford meet, though we do already have a local event in the calendar for that day, in Milton Park, so will see if I can do both. It isn't far to Duxford:D
I will be at Duxford and will have my VCDS kit with me so I can do a full scan for errors if you want?

Steve B

That could be very useful. Current best bet, after emailing previous owner – who had the car on an OBDII recently – is that it's the Lambda sensor, so I'll order one of those for now.

Welcome from another Cambridgshire based owner. This forum/club is a huge source of knowledge support and friendship for those of us who see the A2 as something a bit special.
If you see a Crystal Blue Tdi on the A14 or St Ives environs (with an A2OC badge beneeth the tdi badge) it is probably me so give us a wave. Going to Duxford today so not sure if I can persuade the other half to go again to the social!

Welcome along!

Small world that you have the actual car from the A2 buying guide, as it's my old car (and image) that's used on the Puma buying guide in the same issue! ;)

Another nice car that's going to get rare and more valuable in a hurry:)

If you want to continue the coincidence/connection, in between the photos of our two cars is the In The Trade section, which is what I write for every issue, though I also do some feature stuff and have just completed a 15-page group test for the next issue. No Audis in that, sadly, though one of the 10 cars was a Lupo GTI, which is a close relation.

By the way

your "hazards flashing" one thing to check is the front "service flap" that has a micros witch that triggers the alarm if opened. Sometimes the flap is not quite fully closed and so triggers the alarm.

If that is ok, it MIGHT be the signs of a failing CCCU ( it controls the locks, alarm, interior lights etc). But unless you are having any problems with any of those it is possibly just the flap.

steve B

Thanks for straightening me out on that. I was misled by the last owner – who actually went into print calling it an FSI. Will delight in setting him straight!

Welcome to the forum and your first A2. I'm now on my third A2 and have decided that the engine management light is just their way of saying "I love you"

Back