My first A2

Bluesplit

Morning all,

Thought I would start a small build thread, more so to introduce myself and my car that after deciding to change from tired old VW vans to a car, I am loving my choice so far for choosing an A2. I managed to pick the car up for £1200, metallic black with heated red leather interior.

To start with the problems I have noticed are:

1. Virtually every button visible is worn
2. Scrape on the rear bumper & wheel arch
3. Possible leaky egr valve or at least an oil leak from that general area
4. Brake pedal has a pulse when breaking
5. Cambelt/Pump change way overdue
6. Fitted with A4 stereo
7. Sit’s a little too high for my liking, cornering feels frightening!
8. Foggy headlights
9. 17” alloys scratched badly, might go smaller
10. Front clip on service grille broken
11. 1 key to open car, different for ignition
12. Fuel release & alarm button on B post broken

Attachments

• 5E398C6E-3ADB-421B-96DA-CEF31057CAC9.jpeg
    5E398C6E-3ADB-421B-96DA-CEF31057CAC9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 354
  • 6E3F1907-BA24-4CC2-9FF4-54C65E6A7A13.jpeg
    6E3F1907-BA24-4CC2-9FF4-54C65E6A7A13.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 363
  • 8BCD4EAD-73AF-4C73-828B-0B571A770503.jpeg
    8BCD4EAD-73AF-4C73-828B-0B571A770503.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 347
I’ve made a start ordering some off the parts needed from members on here, super friendly, helpful bunch of people, glad I joined up!

I have climate control, electric window switches (although the passenger turned up in grey, another on order), grill latch, lock set, fuel flap (found out the alarm button doesn’t work after I ordered this button),
DED26A71-28DC-45E7-AE02-AD1751CC62E5.jpeg
managed to pick up a concert 2 really cheap - but no guarantee it works!

The car is booked in at WOM for belt & pump change & general check over on Wednesday, will be a huge weight off my mind as the records that came with the car show the belt was last changed in 2010!

Well after a lot of wrestling & head scratching I finally got the electric window switch swapped over, pain in the backside for such a small job but it’s finally done. Also noticed the check strap is broken so another thing to add to the list

Attachments

• BF5EA7EF-3308-4223-8084-524AD8100FA3.jpeg
    BF5EA7EF-3308-4223-8084-524AD8100FA3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 302
Hello. The passenger door window switch can be taken apart, and your existing surround used. I took mine apart and painted it. If the second one is no better. Welcome to the unrusty world of a2‘s. (I’ve got a bus too).

Tony.

Hi ya Andy,

Yes I had noticed that the other day, thank you. Will have to wait till payday for that one. Looks like part of the strap housing has either snapped off or come unbolted, forgot to take a picture when I had the door card off. Raining as usual and I was in a rush to get it all back on
Hi Bluesplite, The check strap is likely to have failed on the 6mm pop rivets that hold the two pieces together, this is VERY common, but it will also have very worn plastic rollers as well. My remanufactured check straps have brass rollers instead of the plastic ones and stainless steel screws instead of the pop rivets. The check strap is also cleaned and any worn parts replaced, then lubed and rebuilt with the brass rollers and stainless steel screws and nyloc nuts
Make contact when you are ready and I will sort you out with a refurbished check strap.
Cheers,
Paul (aka Depronman)

Hello. The passenger door window switch can be taken apart, and your existing surround used. I took mine apart and painted it. If the second one is no better. Welcome to the unrusty world of a2‘s. (I’ve got a bus too).

Tony.
Bloody hell I didn’t think of that, oh well I will have a couple of spares when it arrives! My T4 will be going up for sale soon & soon as I have the money saved to sort my garage roof out work on the Solit can start again! But I’m loving my A2!

Hi Bluesplite, The check strap is likely to have failed on the 6mm pop rivets that hold the two pieces together, this is VERY common, but it will also have very worn plastic rollers as well. My remanufactured check straps have brass rollers instead of the plastic ones and stainless steel screws instead of the pop rivets. The check strap is also cleaned and any worn parts replaced, then lubed and rebuilt with the brass rollers and stainless steel screws and nyloc nuts
Make contact when you are ready and I will sort you out with a refurbished check strap.
Cheers,
Paul (aka Depronman)

Hi ya Paul,

Yeah I will be in touch in a couple of weeks when payday comes round, being a single dad & living on my own doesn’t leave a lot of cash spare. Will get you to sort me a remap out ASAP aswell, thanks

Cheers,
Paul (aka Depronman)

And yeah from what I remember I think the rivets have failed and the part in now in 2 parts!

Cheers,
Paul (aka Depronman)

Hi ya Paul,

Yeah I will be in touch in a couple of weeks when payday comes round, being a single dad & living on my own doesn’t leave a lot of cash spare. Will get you to sort me a remap out ASAP aswell, thanks

No problem I’ll be here when you are ready
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little update today, the lads at WOM have done the cambelt, pump & aux belt today. Bad news is I have a sticking pulley on the alternator so waiting for a price on that. I also screwed the grille latch on so that’s done now. Doubt anything else will happen till payday now

Small update but a satisfying one for me, removed the A4 stereo as I had managed to get a very cheap A2 stereo, this time a working one! Removed the fascia of both and switched the buttons & A4 silvers volume buttonsnover as I prefer than look. Also took the climate control module out and replaced with better buttons, not perfect but a whole lot better than what I started with

Started off with these:

BA18E1D2-FEAB-493B-88F2-C59774FFC313.jpeg
1CC44C21-6FFA-4BC9-9F6E-6E5BA4791F79.jpeg
1CC44C21-6FFA-4BC9-9F6E-6E5BA4791F79.jpeg
BA18E1D2-FEAB-493B-88F2-C59774FFC313.jpeg

Small update but a satisfying one for me, removed the A4 stereo as I had managed to get a very cheap A2 stereo, this time a working one! Removed the fascia of both and switched the buttons & A4 silvers volume buttonsnover as I prefer than look. Also took the climate control module out and replaced with better buttons, not perfect but a whole lot better than what I started with

Started off with these:

View attachment 38057View attachment 38058

Finished with these

11499FBA-D192-48D7-919D-93C51A808788.jpeg

Stereo isn’t pushed fully home yet as I haven’t got the keys to remove & want to fit something that will allow Bluetooth or at least an aux connection for my phone or iPod

Pleased to see you are making progress, well done.

Two things:

1. Due to the bright sun I cannot see if you swapped the poor CD button in the concert. If not I can send you one, FOC, not perfect by any means but at least you can tell its reads CD. I'll put a pic up if interested.
2. The large soft touch toggle buttons on the climate are the bane of A2 ownership. If you are not aware early(rare) A2's and other Audii's of the time were hard touch. If you get to a point were you can't stand them any longer the best course of action is is to pick up a hard touch A4 B5 non working climate on eBay and swap buttons. They crop up now and again for £10ish+pp. Word of warning they might be a slightly blacker black but the difference is hardly noticeable.

Andy

Pleased to see you are making progress, well done.

Two things:

1. Due to the bright sun I cannot see if you swapped the poor CD button in the concert. If not I can send you one, FOC, not perfect by any means but at least you can tell its reads CD. I'll put a pic up if interested.
2. The large soft touch toggle buttons on the climate are the bane of A2 ownership. If you are not aware early(rare) A2's and other Audii's of the time were hard touch. If you get to a point were you can't stand them any longer the best course of action is is to pick up a hard touch A4 B5 non working climate on eBay and swap buttons. They crop up now and again for £10ish+pp. Word of warning they might be a slightly blacker black but the difference is hardly noticeable.

Andy

Andy,

Thank you very much for the offer, the cd button I swapped over is in very good condition, it’s is just the temperature & fan buttons & if I’m being really picky the air to windscreen button. I did have a quick look on eBay earlier for Audi climate controls that may fit, cheapest being a working A4 unit at £20 I think it was. I’ll keep searching for a hard button unit though, that great to know thank you

Well after changing all the buttons on the climate control I managed to land a bargain from a lad breaking an A2 close to me, £35 for all this, I'm sure the climate buttons are hard touch!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 336
2 small bits done today, swapped the headlight switch over & seemed to spend forever fitting the cup holder top part, very fiddly with a lot of cursing going on!!!

Below are the before and after pics for the headlight switch, very pleased with it, just the passenger window switch now, have already ordered 2, q got lost in the post and the other which arrived today has the tabs broken off that keep it in place!

Time to start ordering brake shoes, discs & pads

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    588.3 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 324
Back