My first MOT on me new A2...

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
Is coming up end of March... it’s a 2001 1.4 tdi

I think everything is ok on car except for service flap. I have to just tug at it to open it and close it has something is wrong with the thingy... I don’t care, I mean I’ll fix it eventually but is this something that will stop mot passing?

Also, tires are good except one is nearing end of life so I was thinking I should get 2 tires and have them put on front wheels and the two best old tires put on rear wheels before mot test?

Anything else I should check or prepare?

Thanks!

As long as the service flap stays closed it will be fine.
And as for tyres, if they are in good condition, i..e not perished etc, AND have more than 1.6mm of tread, then they will pass.

I would say double check all bulbs, windscreen wiper, washer fluid and handbrake operation. All of those are easy and common failures.

Adding to the suggestion list, check the horn works, the seat belts extend and retract easily, and the buckles lock correctly, Easily overlooked if you don't carry passengers regularly

Cheers Spike

Ok guys, many thanks...

The 2 good tires on on passenger side front and rear and the 2 soon to be replaced tires are on drivers side front and rear...

I’ll put new tires on same axle this time...

So, what about brakes? I’m not having any issues so as long as car stops ok mot guy isn’t going to inspect the discs or anything? Or should I get brakes checked before mot?

As long as the service flap stays closed it will be fine. ?? I beg to differ, on every occasion They have taken the bonnet off to inspect the engine bay and look at the engine mounting bolts and other stuff in there.

It’s the bonnet thar has to be secure... not the service flap... this is what a mechanic told me today but it’s possible other mot restarts might interpret the differently...

So, any thoughts on brakes being checked before mot? Brakes seem ok but I haven’t taken wheel off...

I’ve had my two drivers side tires replaced as they were nearing max wear... ride seems to have improved a lot...

Now each axle has same tread wear height... I think the right side being much more worn down than the left side was giving me a rough ride... I think this was the faint vibration I was feeling before...

Yes, my question is should I have brakes checked before mot... I’m worried about being without a car overnight if there is a brake issue... brakes working fine now anyway...
You do know that you can take it for MOT up to 1 month before it’s due? That way, if it fails you can still drive away legally and then you’ll have time to carry out the repairs. So you won’t be left without the car overnight.

You do know that you can take it for MOT up to 1 month before it’s due? That way, if it fails you can still drive away legally and then you’ll have time to carry out the repairs. So you won’t be left without the car overnight.

Thanks, yes I’ve just realised this... I’m not from England so this mot business is all new for me...

Thanks guys...

I’ve had my two drivers side tires replaced as they were nearing max wear... ride seems to have improved a lot...

Now each axle has same tread wear height... I think the right side being much more worn down than the left side was giving me a rough ride... I think this was the faint vibration I was feeling before...
Are you running on four identical tyres? Tyres ideally would be matched on front or back (not sides) with the better tyres on the rear.

the above re the MOT a month early and you get 13 months MOT is certainly correct, I've been doing this for the last 30 years or more.
However there was a rule change a few years ago, I think it was when the proper MOT printed certificate was replaced with a piece of plain paper and the MOT was recorded on line. At this rule change if the car goes for an MOT early and fails then it is classed as being no longer road worth and therefore the remained of the old MOT is cancelled. I'm unsure how strictly this is enforced, but I got this first hand from a friend of mine who is a current MOT tester.
Food for thought
Paul

Would it be prudent to get an interim service done with an mot?

I’m not due an oil change for a couple thousand miles but it couldn’t hurt... and mechanic can then check brakes etc?

Back