My First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jodie

Hello and hapy new year to all A2OC members.

This is my first posting as a new and nervous member of the A2OC forum. I've never owned a car which has compelled me to seek out a member's club let alone contribute to discussions...it feels kinda strange. Anyway its done now so let me introduce myself.

I was the owner of a hardworking but tried and bruised volvo 440... do not judge me for this, it was an out of character purchase but I defend it to the hilt, it has served well.

Mid 2003 I decided it was time to leave the ridcule of volvo jokes behind and make a new purchase. I was looking for something different in its concept from other cars on the road. Predictably, I started at the A-class which I found ok but didn't really get me excited. With not many other choices in between I eventually made my way to the A2. I fell in love immediately. With its interesting styling, mpg, safety features, audi badge and the to die for sky roof it just seemed to be what I was looking for.

It checked all the right boxes and 3 weeks ago I bought my A2, 2002, 1.4 SE, azure blue, opensky, rearbench.

After 3 weeks of driving I know I've made the right choice but much as I applaud my A2 I feel it necessary to share a few of my disappointments.
Would like to hear from anyone sharing similar experiences.

- at start up the petrol engine sounds like a tractor, so much so that everyone
thinks its a diesel
- the car rides as if suspension and shock absorbers were never invented
in all the reviews there was mention of the firm ride but this car could do
someone an injury
- the cabin is seriously noisssy, the roar of the engine and tyres on tarmac
permeates the cabin, even haven't the stereo on doesn't help, it just
seems to add to the noise level - if it were a house double glazing would
have to be fitted

The thing that bugs me the most is the noisy cabin. Is it just my car/is there anything that can be done to reduce the incoming noise level.

Signing off for now, thanks for listening.

[27][21][

Hi Jodie,

Welcome to the forum. Learnt to drive in volvo 440 - great cars - bullet proof.
In case of the noise, sounds a bit odd. Mines a 1.4tdi, and apart from the normal low speed noise, it is pretty quiet at speed (however I do find it noisier in the winter strangely enough). It could be worth popping back to your dealer and asking them to take a look - maybe take out another 1.4 petrol for a test drive.
In case of the suspension, I agree - for British roads it can be a little harsh. Did you buy new or used? One of the members did have an experience of Audi leaving the shipping blocks on the suspension once, making the ride rock hard.

I hope you can get these problems ironed out.

Kaine

Hi Kaine,
My car is one year old its booked in with my dealer in the next week so I will be discussing concerns with them.
Thanks for your comments, have taken them on board.
Will give send update once in a week.

Jodie

Jodie
Welcome to the happy world of A2OC!!!

A couple of comments:

1. It was me who had the packing left in the front suspension coils-dealer ticked the PDI but didn't remove. I did about 1200 miles or so with the packing in-man that suspension-it threw drinks out of the cup holders if you so much as ran over a cats eye in the road. Dealer gave me a replacement A2 after offering to replace whole front suspension set-up and I said 'no way'.

2. Noise. I think the bodywork has something to do with this. Sit in your A2 when it rains and you'll see!. I think the aluminium just doesn't insulate as well as tin. Get a kicking CD in and turn up the volume-at least the audio sounds nice!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

[2]
One of Alu's properties is that it transmits noise more 'effectively' than steel.
You can hunt for ages for a transmitted noise.

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

Jodie

Welcome to the Forum. We have a 1.4 Petrol and I have never really noticed the engine noise apart from under hard accelleration or over 60. One of our plus points is the quiet environment it presents. As far as road noise goes what tyres (brand/size)is it on?

The ride is very hard, we have raised junctions (large speed bumps) near home and the A2 objects to speeds over 15mph whereas our Passat is quite happy going over them at 30-35mph (30 area).

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Jodie, I have a 1.4 petrol, the engine is not noisy, quite the opposite, road noise has never seemed a problem. The suspension is HARD, especially after a Volvo, speed bumps are very uncomfortable unless you almost stop, my Volvo will take them at 30 mph no trouble. Join the campaign to remove speed bumps. Enjoy the car, and enjoy the forum, I do.

Ive got a 1.4 petrol and the engine noise has never bothered me, poeple who have been in the car have actually asked me if the engine is running its that quiet. Speed bumps are a nightmare and as with most people anything above 15mph shakes you up badly. Thats with the 15inch wheels, the 17inch sport alloys must make it even worse

[2002] | 1.4 | azure blue | 2 tone leather | concert II single cd.
Member of A2OC site.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk12.htm

Jodie

I have a 1.6FSI Sport and have friends with a TDI Sport and TDI SE. The SE rides so much better as the 17 inch wheels on the Sport are a killer - the ride is truly atrocious. Sharp turn in aside, the handling isn't good enough to warrant the poor ride in my opinion. Audi's do set their cars up with hard suspension - my friend also has an A4 and its not much better if its any consolation.
The noise at start up may be solved if you wait a couple of seconds until you start after putting the ignition on - works on mine! Otherwise, mine is not noisy. I did try the 1.4 and thought it ok.

Silver 1.6FSI Sport, Concert, Climate, Sports seats, Nokia car kit, kerbed 17" wheels!! Aargh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back