My first week with an A2

Mignun

Hi all,

well, I have just reached the end of my first week with an A2. A few months back I put a wanted ad on this site but what with one thing and another, including a house move, it has taken me this long to finally get hold of the right one.

So, she's a blue 2001 1.4 TDi SE with opensky roof. Not totally mint but in good nick, well, maintained, and bought for a good price from a private owner who seemed to be very genuine.

Mechanically, all is A OK and she has just been serviced. Bodily everything is fine except for a scratch to the lower front bumper on the paintwork and some minor damage to the very bottom of said bumper on the black plastic. You'd have to look for it to see it. Reading this forum, it seems this is fairly common.. Only other issue is that there are one or two minor curb marks to the wheels but nothing major. I'm hoping somebody might be able to give a view on the many wheel "touch-up" kits available online. Are they any good? It's not worth refurbing the wheels right now as they're otherwise much too good.

Inside all is excellent although I was a little disappointed that this one doesn't have the onboard computer or any speakers in the back. Climate control was a must though (and works brilliantly I might add) and a bonus was a full set of genuine carpets as well as the genuine rubber mats too.

One issue was a stuck cupholder. It was a point of negotiation as I felt I could sort it easily. I did so but the front trim has been scratched by the last owner trying to prise it open. It also looks like the tiny little lugs on the bottom of the front cupholder trim have come away so I need to try and find another one somewhere...

So, after piling on 1000 miles in a week, what do I think of it so far?

Very positive I have to say. It feels like a big car when you want it too and like a small car when you need it to.

The build quality is beyond reproach. There isn't a squeek or rattle anywhere to be heard.

Coming from a 6 cylinder BMW coupe, I initially had some migivings about going to a small diesel. I have been pleasantly surprised at just how many beans the 1.4tDi has under the bonnet. The light weight and hefty torque means that accelaration between 60 and 90 is strong so motorway and A road driving is never a chore. Even the engine note gives a little hint of horn in it's 3 cylinder beat which, with just a small stretch of the imagination, brings to mind my old Porsche. I had been eager to get the car on the rolling road and have a re-map but after this first week I'm in two minds... If I have a criticism it's that the urge is strong from around 2k up to about 3k rpm and then gets a bit flat. It would be nice to have a bit more urge that extends a little further, if only so I can enjoy the "mini 911" growl.

As for the visibility issues that have been sited, I have to admit, I'm not at all bothered. The A posts are fine for me as I'm very tall. I'm getting used to the high viewpoint too...

As for bad points, well, the ride is a bit choppy and potholes are definitely to be avoided as it seems the suspension travel isn't very long!! First few miles I must have crashed onto the bumpstops 4 or 5 times. The previous owner had recently had the shocks replaced too...

The indicators are reluctant to self-cancel. Is this part of the design? Not a big problem...

The opensky roof is nice but... quite noisy when it's open. Probably the noisiest sunroof I've had since the old Webasto on my original Golf GTI back in the early 80s. Still, I do like a sunroof, and even when it's closed it makes for a very airy cabin. It is very quiet when shut too - unlike the Webasto of old.

My biggest gripe of all though is... the wiper!!! AAAAARGHHH. What total rubbish. It's noisy, juddery, smeary... useless!! Initially I thought it must need a new blade. But it's as bad or even worse now. It's a major issue for a car living in these wet isles. Is this normal or is my wiper system b****red?

Apart from that it's been a good week and I feel I've made a good choice. I love the style and the engineering. The economy is on a different planet to the old BMW, although I'm struggling to better 60mpg overall.

Hopefully I'll get some piccies up in due course. Any comments regarding some of the points above are very welcome.

Thanks,
Richard

Welcome to the club! Your first impressions sound very positive. Like you, I am not bothered about the A and B pillar visibility. You move your head a bit more and its fine;) High driving position is a positive thing here too.
The alloy touch up kits on eBay are OK if you are painstakingly careful and clean the wheel really well before starting out. I used this method as a first aid fix before I had the refurb done, and it does make the wheels look tidier. Flatten the worst of the graze marks before you paint, use plenty of the primer and throw the filler away! Its rubbish! When the budget allows, your best bet is a refurb. The wiper is a common complaint on pre 2004(ish) model cars without the 'floppy' wiper. An upgrade will cost around £70 I think for the new wiper and blade. And the indicators is an Audi 'characteristic' my new A3 does the same thing. Search on the forum for 'komfortblinker' this £60 mod will stop this happening some of the time as you will fully engage the indicator less ( it gives you 3 flashes with a flick of the stalk - fabby for ovetaking and roundabouts etc) Enjoy the car :D

Last edited:
wiper problems

all I can say is, 1st try a new blade.
my 1400 tdi, has the best windscreen wiper I have ever owned.
a new blade sounds a must.

Hi Richard
The wiper can be upgraded to the later 'floppy' version which gives some improvement -
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3420

Some club members have removed the Open Sky interior blind and frame to lighten up the interior.They also seem to find it reduces wind noise when the roof is open.

Cheers Spike

thanks to everyone who has replied so far. EMR66, I tried a new blade and it's no better. I've ordered a "floppy" replacement and hopefully that will be better.

I've done some maths and worked out the fuel consumption over the first 1000 miles and despite driving pretty enthusiastically (as well as a gruelling stint spent crawling round the M25 last Friday afternoon), it's just over 60mpg - not bad at all! In the beemer I'd be lucky to better 25mpg so, as long as I don't get any big unexpected bills in the meantime, the A2 will have paid for itself in a couple of years of motoring. With oil prices on the rise again I'm more certain than ever I've done the right thing.

Only trouble is I can see that this site will have me spending what I save on fuel on other goodies like a set of Konis, some nice lambo pattern wheels (incidentally I think the SE 6 spokes look so "right" on the A2, I'll probably not change them), some leather sports seats, a remap...

Welcome to the world of constant upgrading..... just when you think you can't make it any better, you go for a ride in Tank!!!!! FSD's and Weitec springs followed very soon after this for my A2!

Enjoy the ride,

David

PS there are several threads about how to get the cup holders out and clean them. It involves removing the radio (using the right tools to avoid damage to the radio) and then undoing 2 screws below the cupholders so the whole piece comes out. Cleaning is a matter of soapy water to remove the sticky (usually fizzy pop!) mess that has gunked it up. Do a search and you will find a better description than this.

David,

thanks for the tip on the cupholder. I pretty much did exactly that and soon had the vent console out and also the offending cupholder mech. Turned out not to be sticky soda but a jumped lug on the folding mechanism. Very easily sorted and now working perfectly. Only shame is that the previous owners attempts to prise open the cupholder have ruined the cupholder front trim panel (the bit you press) so if anybody has a spare one or knows where I can get this part I'd be most grateful.

Regarding the noisy sunroof: Take out the internal sunblind. Lots of people have done that to let more sun into the car (as have I). But I also found it buffeted less inside too and was quieter.

David,

thanks for the tip on the cupholder. I pretty much did exactly that and soon had the vent console out and also the offending cupholder mech. Turned out not to be sticky soda but a jumped lug on the folding mechanism. Very easily sorted and now working perfectly. Only shame is that the previous owners attempts to prise open the cupholder have ruined the cupholder front trim panel (the bit you press) so if anybody has a spare one or knows where I can get this part I'd be most grateful.

to quote family fortunes - "dff dfffffffffffffffffff". Won't work, you need a complete replacement unit. having said that, scrappers with A2s abound in the UK...

Wiper: clean the screen and replace the wiper with a floppy one.

Bret

The floppy wiper is really good compared to if you drive a car later when it has got two wipers.

Ordered the floppy wiper kit after driving back on the M25 this weekend during the downpour we had.

Currently "This order is marked as Awaiting Fulfillment"

No doubt as soon as it arrives we will have glorious sunshine again*– at least that's the plan!

Back