My FSi - First go with VCDS Lite

Malcyb

Hi all,
As some of you may have seen the other day, my Fsi's EML came on the other day, and has stayed lit ever since, although there's no other outward symptoms, it still seems to run very nicely. Although my Proboost ECU arrived this morning (many thanks @A2Steve) I thought it would be prudent to try and run a scan, both to establish a baseline and as a learning exercise, before thinking of installing it. Thanks to some generous assistance from @PlasticMac I managed to get VCDS Lite working with my cable of unknown origin surprisingly easily. I ran a full scan and got the following results...

Surprisingly I managed to get VCDS Lite to work (well at least I got it to do something!), in the end I opted to use the driver on the link I found as I found the instructions on the FTDI site impossible to follow! The latency test turned out to be "excellent". I ran a full scan, here's the results in full...

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 036 906 013 F
Component: MED7.5.11 5130
Coding: 00051
Shop #: WSC 02138
VCID: 1257394B4D77
WAUZZZ8Z34N002805 AUZ7Z0C2423876
2 Faults Found:
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 35-00 - -
17912 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1504 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 1000 0100

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: None
Controller: 8Z0 907 379 D
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0007183
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 49E5DE2760A1
No fault code found.

Does the hive mind of A2OC have any comments on these 2 faults? 16395 came up in the Ross tech wiki and to my eyes didn't look terribly serious, though cited as an explanation for "power loss" (which I haven't noticed). I didn't find 17912 in the wiki however found it in a forum search (air intake system: leak detected), no idea how significant this is.

As a complete newbie to this, would it be sensible to clear the codes, run the engine again for a bit and do another scan? And would I gain very much by shelling out the registration fee at this stage?

As an aside, I noticed something else quite odd. The VIN's 8th character in the scan output is different to that on my V5 (which replaces the Z with a 7). The sticker in the service book has it correct so it appears there's a typo on my V5. How serious is this and does anyone know if it's something DVLA can correct?

Firstly, and most importantly, download the FSI specific, A2OC lable file, and install it in the labels folder. There is no FSI lable file available elsewhere for VCDS-Lite, so DTC description are rarely correct.
Then scan again.
Next, clear the DTCs, go for a drive, then scan again.
No need to register right now, but to get much more useful info out of VCDS, especially by logging dynamic sensor data, in real time, (sounds more technical than it is), the $99 is money well spent, and an essential for an FSI owner, (imo).
Mac

Good Afternoon,

Mac's suggestions seconded. The A2OC label file download is here

(Felling cheeky - one day Mac will spell label correctly!)

Andy

Good Afternoon,

Andy
... Felling

that's very checky :)

Good Afternoon,

Andy
Only when related to VCDS, as that's the way Ross-Tech, (Americans have never quite mastered English), spell it.
Meanwhile, I have a lable on my coat, in case I get lost.
Hope you're well, seems you are in good spirits.
Mac

Last edited:
... Felling

that's very checky :)
Left myself open to that one!
Only when related to VCDS, as that's the way Ross-Tech, (Americans have never quite mastered English), spell it.
Mac
If you say so.

1711383253750.jpeg
1711383316883.jpeg

Andy

Mac
Looking back, I am, at least consistent with my miss spelling.
I have no idea why I have label in my memory as lable.
I'll put myself in detention, (do they still do that in schools?), and do 100 lines, " I must remember to spell lable as label.
Mac.
I've deleted lable from my phone spell checker.

Ok so that didn’t go quite so well. I followed the instructions to install the label/lable 🙂 file (all straightforward enough) and started another scan so I could clear the DTCs. However something’s not right at the moment because after probably less than a minute it aborted the scan and displayed this.
FEBED187-2126-4900-B7BC-B0A0C9C9A46F.jpeg

The full scan is supposed to take a few minutes isn’t it? So I’m guessing it didn’t complete; the option to clear DTCs was greyed out. It did the same this morning and probably should have mentioned that 😕. At a glance the faults looked the same as before but I think I’ve got to get round this issue. It looks as if I do have to register after all??? I’m prepared to do that if that’s what’s necessary but surprised given the comments here. BTW I also tried verifying whether it was using the label file but it wouldn’t let me view group 142, it reported the same error. Thoughts welcome!

Last edited:
Looking back, I am, at least consistent with my miss spelling.
I have no idea why I have label in my memory as lable.
I'll put myself in detention, (do they still do that in schools?), and do 100 lines, " I must remember to spell lable as label.
Mac.
I've deleted lable from my phone spell checker.
Probably because the words "Ladle" and "Able" are so similar? English is pretty amusingly non-standard at times.

Ok so that didn’t go quite so well. I followed the instructions to install the label/lable 🙂 file (all straightforward enough) and started another scan so I could clear the DTCs. However something’s not right at the moment because after probably less than a minute it aborted the scan and displayed this.View attachment 121291

The full scan is supposed to take a few minutes isn’t it? So I’m guessing it didn’t complete; the option to clear DTCs was greyed out. It did the same this morning and probably should have mentioned that 😕. At a glance the faults looked the same as before but I think I’ve got to get round this issue. It looks as if I do have to register after all??? I’m prepared to do that if that’s what’s necessary but surprised given the comments here. BTW I also tried verifying whether it was using the label file but it wouldn’t let me view group 142. Thoughts welcome!
I think you may have hit the Auto Scan key, (scans all available controllers), which is not enabled on free Lite.
From the controller list screen, select Engine, (01), then Fault Codes.
Screenshot 2024-03-25 17.07.20.pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 17.07.50.png
Mac.

I think you may have hit the Auto Scan key, (scans all available controllers), which is not enabled on free Lite.
From the controller list screen, select Engine, (01), then Fault Codes.
View attachment 121292View attachment 121293
Mac.

You’re quite right, that’s what I hit. Slightly sceptical it’ll scan all the engine’s fault codes either as it wouldn’t let me view that group in one of the engine blocks. But I’ll give it a try.

On the next scan, look at the first line of the report, where it previously showed:
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 036 906 013 F
It should now show:
Address 01: Engine Labels: 036-906-013-BAD.LBL
If it doesn't, the FSI label file is not correctly installed.
(Easiest mistake is to forget to change the file type from .txt to .lbl in the VCDS label folder).
Mac.

Ok… now it’s got a bit mysterious. On first restart after clearing the codes, the EML went out 🤔. Took her for a 30 minute drive, it didn’t come back on. Here’s the result of the new scan.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Monday, 25 March 2024, 18:06:24.
Control Module Part Number: 036 906 013 F
Component and/or Version: MED7.5.11 5130
Software Coding: 00051
Work Shop Code: WSC 02138
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8Z34N002805 AUZ7Z0C2423876
2 Faults Found:
17912 - Intake Air System: Leak Detected
P1504 - 35-00 - -
16395 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0011 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate

Same 2 faults as last time. However the fact that the EML has stayed out leaves me doubtful that either of these relate to the condition that lit it in the first place, there’s no correlation, let alone cause. I’ll sort of take it as goodish news (for now) that it’s gone out but leaves me no nearer knowing what’s going on. If/when it comes on again I’ll do another scan.

Incidentally I repeated the (aborted) full scan and the top of the report did show the label file name so all good there.

So one thing that particularly puzzles me. Does anyone have deep knowledge of what causes the EML to extinguish? Would clearance of the codes have caused it to extinguish or was it total coincidence?

Ok… now it’s got a bit mysterious. On first restart after clearing the codes, the EML went out 🤔. Took her for a 30 minute drive, it didn’t come back on. Here’s the result of the new scan.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Monday, 25 March 2024, 18:06:24.
Control Module Part Number: 036 906 013 F
Component and/or Version: MED7.5.11 5130
Software Coding: 00051
Work Shop Code: WSC 02138
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8Z34N002805 AUZ7Z0C2423876
2 Faults Found:
17912 - Intake Air System: Leak Detected
P1504 - 35-00 - -
16395 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0011 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate

Same 2 faults as last time. However the fact that the EML has stayed out leaves me doubtful that either of these relate to the condition that lit it in the first place, there’s no correlation, let alone cause. I’ll sort of take it as goodish news (for now) that it’s gone out but leaves me no nearer knowing what’s going on. If/when it comes on again I’ll do another scan.

Incidentally I repeated the (aborted) full scan and the top of the report did show the label file name so all good there.

So one thing that particularly puzzles me. Does anyone have deep knowledge of what causes the EML to extinguish? Would clearance of the codes have caused it to extinguish or was it total coincidence?
The EML will go out if the fault condition clears, and the source of the fault data produces good data, indicating correct functionality is present. The DTC remains until you clear it.
Get some enthusiastic miles on it.
It's not been far for a long time.
Check the pipework around the inlet, for tightness and cracking.
Mac.

Good Evening,

What I find odd is the faults have swapped round. Must be related to chronology of fault detection.

@Malcyb Did VCDS report 'Faults Cleared' when you did so? Personally I go back to the start and select Engine again to see the message 'No fault code found' as confirmation. To save taking pictures with phone I use Snipe, quite a fan especially since I programmed instant Snipe onto a spare button on my mouse.

Andy

Good Evening,

What I find odd is the faults have swapped round. Must be related to chronology of fault detection.

@Malcyb Did VCDS report 'Faults Cleared' when you did so? Personally I go back to the start and select Engine again to see the message 'No fault code found' as confirmation. To save taking pictures with phone I use Snipe, quite a fan especially since I programmed instant Snipe onto a spare button on my mouse.

Andy

Yes I guess they go into the log in chronological order. I definitely remember seeing a message saying faults cleared or words to that effect, so I’m quite sure it was clear when I set out again.

The EML will go out if the fault condition clears, and the source of the fault data produces good data, indicating correct functionality is present. The DTC remains until you clear it.
Get some enthusiastic miles on it.
It's not been far for a long time.
Check the pipework around the inlet, for tightness and cracking.
Mac.

I would check the pipe work if I knew where I was supposed to look. I did a forum search but it didn’t come up with anything conclusive. If you (or anyone) has a photo that would be great.

But yes in the meantime I’ll get driving her a bit more and blow out some cobwebs. Though since this happened we decided this isn’t going to become my wife’s daily, she’ll keep the Up, and this will be a fun/project car. Depending on any FSi as a daily with no fallback feels a bit like tempting fate.

Many thanks for all the help and I’ll update the thread if I find anything interesting fault code wise. But it’s been a valuable exercise and I feel I’ve learned something from it.

I would check the pipe work if I knew where I was supposed to look. I did a forum search but it didn’t come up with anything conclusive. If you (or anyone) has a photo that would be great.

But yes in the meantime I’ll get driving her a bit more and blow out some cobwebs. Though since this happened we decided this isn’t going to become my wife’s daily, she’ll keep the Up, and this will be a fun/project car. Depending on any FSi as a daily with no fallback feels a bit like tempting fate.

Many thanks for all the help and I’ll update the thread if I find anything interesting fault code wise. But it’s been a valuable exercise and I feel I’ve learned something from it.
Is there any oily residue around the filler cap on top of the rocker cover? Seals on those can compress/dry out and generate an air leak, although obviously pipework to manifold / throttle body more likely sources of unmetered air.

FSIs need understanding.
Have a read of these two SSPs. Lots of information.
Mac.

Attachments

• SSP_222 Mapped Coolant.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • SSP_253 FSI_Engine.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Back