My fun transport

FlyingScot

Got some work done on my ZX10R this year - here's a few pics.

I'm lucky enough to have a mate that's a MotoGP mechanic so he helped me (more like I helped him really) do the work.

We dropped the motor out and fitted a set of Kent Cams desinged for better mid-range then did the valve shims and he mananged to get them all exactly the same. When the motor went back in we also fitted a full titanium Akrapovic race system and a new Ohlins rear shock. There was already a Power Commander and K&N filter fitted.

After a trip to the dyno for set up the final result was 175.6 bhp measured at the back wheel. The power curve is almost completely straight, there's power everywhere at any revs, very torquey. The bike weighs around 173kgs so approximately 1000bhp per tonne, until you at me in to the equation!

The bike is mainly for trackdays but I still use it on the road. It out drags my friends Hyabusa's with ease, makes them look quite slow to be honest. I've also been providing them with some entertainment as the back wheel really likes to try and overtake the front now at any opportunity :cool:

I've got a few other bikes in the garage, will post them up if there any interest??

10R9.jpg10R.jpg10R3.jpg10R2.jpg10R8.jpg10R7.jpg

Last edited:
Some great photos there - not often you see a '10 with no engine. Always like Kwaks for their bomb-proof engineering, but they're never the most precise tool in the box! I've done 250,000 miles plus on ZZ-R600s over the years and have got an E4 in the garage awaiting refurbishment, before selling in the spring (already swapped out the Tokico calipers for CBR600RR Nissins and a new set of carbs in).

I've got some work to do on the V-tec soon which might involve a new set of de-catted stainless downpipes, although I have fallen for a new model in the last couple of weeks - Ducatis new 1199 Panigale. Luckily, we have a massive Ducati showroom in Manchester, so will go to have a look in the new year.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Always been a Kawa fan too, it's the engines I love - they seem so much more alive than the other Japanese offerings. Not the sharpest tools for sure but I do like a bike I've got to fight with and the 04'/05' 10R fits that bill very well.

I had a look at the Panigale at the NEC, it's a beautiful piece of kit, If you take a test drive let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Kenny

I had a look at the Panigale at the NEC, it's a beautiful piece of kit, If you take a test drive let me know what you think.

Will do - the only thing that may dissuade me is if the bike is too radical in its riding position - I'm 6'2" and it might be too cramped for me.

Cheers,

Mike

Back