My New A2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philhusbands

Hi everyone!

I picked up my new (well used, but new to me) A2 TDi Sport yesterday morning (09/01/04). I assured Stuart I would make a post to tell you how it went and share some of my initial impressions, so here it is!

Before I ramble on about the A2, I feel that I should tap out a few lines about the car I kicked to the kerb in favour of the Audi, as this is undoubtedly a significant factor in determining my opinion of the A2, relatively speaking...

For the past 14 months I have been driving a Citroen Saxo VTR. Bullet points on this car? Well, the handling and responsiveness were fantastic, very 'go-kart', and the engine revved easily and picked up well. Great for B roads.
Unfortunately when the performance novelty wore off, which it quickly did, I found that I was left with the nastiest, tackiest, poorly built car I think I have ever had the misfortune to own. The list of defects was far longer than I would care to detail here, and the Citroen dealers and Citroen UK were absolutely pathetic.

This being the case, I am the first to admit that almost any car would likely have come as a relief, so you can only imagine the glee I felt as I eased myself into my nine month old Audi A2!

However even before opening a door, this A2 was responsible for a big grin on my face. The car really is gorgeous! I've always thought that Audi make some really good looking cars, but this has to be my favourite. The flared arches filled with the 9 spoke alloys give the car a really dominant stance, almost as though you could turn the road upside-down and the A2 would still be stuck to it. The deep doors and shallow windows give the car a 'stealthy' appearance that is exaggerated by the distinctive wedge shaped body. Lush, lush, lush! but then what am I telling you all for? You all own one!

Entering the car is an experience that I have afforded upon some friends and family today, and each time it has without exception been met with a 'wow', or 'bloomin' eck'! The moment that you pull on that handle you know you are climbing into a quality motor car.
I love it all. The sports seats are fantastic and hold me firmly in place, and with the lumbar support and the level of adjustment available it is the most comfortable driving position I have ever experienced. Inside the A2 is just such a nice place to be! The quality of the plastics and the leather control surfaces make driving a satisfying 'tactile' experience, and I find all of the switches and buttons in just the right place.

Some of you have commented on the firm ride of the A2, especially the Sport. Admittedly the ride is firm, but personally, I like this. I have driven Vauxhalls that feel like a damp sponge on the road, and hated it. I have so far found my A2 to feel delightfully agile and responsive, perhaps even more so than my old Citroen go-kart...

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the engine performance. Yeah, its a bit noisy on startup, but its a diesel, whatchya gonna do?! The 1.4 litres feel like a good deal more, and the turbo delivers a good punch that really makes you feel like your moving. Also, this thing is more torquey than fish 'n chips and beach huts! (Torquay, get it?). Seriously, this thing eats hills. Great!

OK, I know what you are thinking. Its clear that I am pleased with my purchase, and you are correct, I love this car! But I have only been driving it for two days. True, my opinions here are my first ones, and perhaps they may change when I have lived with the car for a few months or years? Only time will tell I guess, but for now I am thoroughly chuffed with my new A2, and all my friends are thoroughly envious!

And what about my Audi dealer? Well, mine is Vincents Audi in Exeter, and I have to give them 9/10. They lost some paperwork, and delivered the car 3 days later than originally arranged, but this was recognised and compensated for with a full set of free mats and a whopping bouquet of flowers for my missus! Truly customer service as it should be!

If you've read this far, thanks! I've rambled on a bit! (Stuart, is there a prize for the longest post?!) And congratulations everyone, you all drive one of the smartest cars on the road. It is with pride that I now do too! :):):)

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Phil

Welcome......what else is there to say. You sound just like me when I went through the A2 buying process. The test drive, comparing diesel to petrol, take it home to make sure the height went in the garage...those were the days!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi Phil,
Great post...I am very glad you are pleased with your purchase!
Sorry, but you don't win the prize for the longest post...he was before your time on this forum, but we used to have a regular forum user called John Disdale and those of you that remember him, I'm sure you'll agree that he probably still holds the record!!

Phil, send me some photos when you get a chance and I'll put them in the UK gallery.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | A2OC Forum | Join the A2OC!

[10]
Indeed, but Phil's post is soooooooo much more positive!
Enjoy Phil.
Mine is now approaching its third birthday and I have enjoyed every minute of it, despite having a new gearbox in the first month, glued in driveshafts, replaced cambox gasket after it blew oil out and three weeks off the road when the immobiliser immobilised it!
This is not tongue in cheek stuff. I mean it the car has been FUN. I enjoy annoying people by occupying 'their' bit of road 'cos they think the little car should not be that quick.
Actually that could be another thread. Anyone else find that? Other road users getting upset 'cos they can't lose the A2 or have been passed by one?
Anyway, mine is going soon and I shall miss it. it still looks great three years on and I like silver (even if it is common).
I may yet change my mind and ask for my deposit back!

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

Hiya!

Well, had my A2 a week now, so in a mediocre attempt to give something back to this forum after it has helped me so much, here is a quick update!

My utopian driving experience continues, the smile is still glued to me mush!

Also, filled up the little beastie for the first time today, after getting a full tank of derv from the dealer.
One funny thing - I filled up almost immediately after the warning light came on, and I got 35.48ltrs in there. The Audi UK site tells me that my A2 should have a 32ltr tank. What gives? I guess I have the bigger 42ltr tank?

Anyhoo, I reset the odometer before I left the dealers, and when I filled up it was reading 355 miles. So, by my reckoning thats 50mpg, or near as dammit.
Not too bad I reckon! I do a 24 mile round trip commute on an empty A road, and another 10 miles of town driving to get to the gym and back. So 50mpg is about right yeah?

Also, how groovy is that fuel warning light? "Ping!" Man, you'd have to be blind to run dry in an A2!

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

quote:Also, how groovy is that fuel warning light? "Ping!" Man, you'd have to be blind to run dry in an A2!

Phil,

Wait until you are both low on fuel, and window wash water. It then goes from being groovy to annoying. The ping repeats itself every so often (never actually timed it), and you will find yourself speaking to the car - "I know I'm low on water - STOP pinging at me" [13]

Kaine

The most I have had is four, one after the other - Outside temperature, window wash water, fuel and service! Passat has the same system!

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Enjoy Phil... good to see a petrolhead VTR owner can see the total joy of torque in a PDTDi!!! Nothing can beat it!

As to the warning chime: Ianjohnson: My A2 has never chimed for temperature?! A friends Golf V5 did and surely your Passat, but not the A2? As to the thing pinging all the time... fuel only pings once and then when you restart the car it will ping again The windscreen washer one only pings again in the same journey if it has reset itself and you go UP a hill again... then it triggers it again (so this only happens if the water level is close to the trigger point and can in effect be fine if you drive on a level road, but triggers going up a hill... so logic would suggest the sensor is in the front of the tank! )

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Johann,

My A2 pings when the temp moves down below 5deg C (i.e. if its 6 deg C and then moves to 4deg C - if its below 5 at start up, there is no ping)

Kaine

Mine never PINGS on temperature, only on fuel and the damned washer bottle. Thank God.
I think it's really dangerous. My old car was the same. It always PINGS when you're going round a fast corner and the washer fluid is sloshing. You think that some calamity has overcome the car, eg all the oil's fallen out, so you look at the dashboard, and drive into a tree.

It's ergonomic lunacy. SAVE THE PINGS FOR IMPORTANT THINGS. RUNNING OUT OF WASHER FLUID ISN'T IMPORTANT. I really hate it. Can Audi de-ping it in a simple way?

quote:Originally posted by Mark Paxman
It's ergonomic lunacy. SAVE THE PINGS FOR IMPORTANT THINGS. RUNNING OUT OF WASHER FLUID ISN'T IMPORTANT. I really hate it. Can Audi de-ping it in a simple way?

Mark
In this country, people have been fined for no washer fluid. One chap was dragged out of his house by the police to be given a ticket. Those Germans are only trying to help us ;)

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back