My OSS is reborn :)

depronman

A2OC Donor
My OSS failed last year with a click of death, so I bought a replacement OSS from a members breaker. Its sat in the garage waiting for the stars to align when Tom and myself where available for a day to swap them over.
The day in planned for this Saturday, so I thought I had better try out the 'new' OSS to make sure it was all working, and clean and re lubricate it. I borrowed a lead of Tom some week ago, but life and other A2 jobs as got in the way, anyway Monday evening with a deadline now forcing this job to the top of the pile I went and tried to open the OSS, well you guessed it, the bloody thing opened one side and not the other, causing the glass panel to twist. Luckily this was with the hand crank so I could stop it as soon as I saw what was happening.
Several hours latter the rear 'fixed' glass panel was removed and the trucks and cables also removed, the fault was then evident in that the cables have a plastic end which was broken on one side and very badly worn on the other.
What to do now I thought.
Have a beer and a think, sat with my thoughts for a hour or so then thought I will make replacement ends out of brass tube and brass sheet and silver solder the two together. A plan was hatched.
So Tuesday evening after tea I disappeared into my workshop and returned at 1:15am with two brass cable ends, these slide in the rail profile perfectly.
Wednesday evening say them attached to the trucks and folded over and pushed up and down the rails with ease. Everything was clean up to remove years worth of old grease and grit. The cables have a crimp end which needed to be removed with a cutting disc and dremmel so the brass ends could be fitted, new brass cable crimps were made and after cleaning the cable ends and fluxing and tinning the new crimps where solder in place.
Everything was then lubricated and re assembled. the cables synchronised and motor fitted. Hand winding proved that the trucks were now moving very freely and with no free play, I ran them back and forth about 30 to 40 times with no glass panels in place all by hand cranking.
Then attached the two glass panels and, back first, then set it closed and adjusted the fit and tightened screws, then front panel, same procedure.
Turned the hand crank and the OSS opened and closed very easily and smoothly, I did this about 6 or 8 times by hand and all way well, so closed the OSS.
I then wired up the motor and pressed to close and held for a few seconds, then pressed open and the OSS proceeded to open very smoothly, picked up the rear truck and opened the rear glass panel then stopped when fully open. Pressing close, closed the OSS equally smoothly, the rear glass parking in the correct position, all seals in contact and glass joint level, the front section also parked in place perfectly.
I repeated this about 10 to 12 times and it worked perfectly
Sat on the sofa with a celebratory beer and a big grin on my face as I type this wee story :)

Now hoping for a dry day on Saturday so Tom and me can swop out the OSS's.

Having pulled the OSS apart down to its raw components I would say the design is quite elegant, and generally well engineered, but let down my one very cheap and very under engineered plastic part on the end of the cables. Hopefully the brass lasts a lot longer than the plastic and I have many years of trouble free OSS. Mu other car is a Focus CC so you can see that I like my open top motoring, so the OSS will not suffer from lack of use

I have a video of it working but its 33mb, anyone know how to get it down to a manageable size to upload to this thread ?

Cheers,
Paul

Well done you! I bet that was real feeling of satisfaction. Do I sense another potential Depronman remanufactured part in the offing?

I'm in a similar position to you with the other car ... there's nothing like the wind around your ears out on the open road. I do sometimes wish I'd held out for the right A2 with OSS, but the one I have was the definitely the right car with which to dip in a toe. Now I'm in at least up to my chest so on the bright side, wanting OSS gives me a reason to buy a second one at some point :)

The time and room needed to work on the OSS, and the fact that you have to remove the OSS from the car to work on it makes it rather impractical for me to get involved in OSS repairs on a commercial basis at the moment, I wont rule it out for the future though :)

The feeling of satisfaction when it was opening and closing so smoothly was worth all of the effort - its in my DNA to fix things, my view is what someone in German put together can be repaired and sometimes improved my a man in St Anne's :)

Cheers,

We’ll done Paul. Great to see that you found a way to repair.With regard to the video, why not upload to YouTube and share the link?
I’m interested in how you connected the new cable ends to the ‘trucks’, do you have any photos?

I didn’t take any photos unfortunately
A price of brass tube 23mm long 5mm o/d 2.7mm I/d
A price of brass sheet 0.7mm thick 23mm long x 20mm wide
A 1.5mm joggle 3mm from the long end
Silver solder the tube to the plate with the joggle closest to the tube such that the plate forms a tangent to the tube
The brass plate form a foot or bearing surface for the front truck and the plate is wider than the truck foot so is bent around the truck foot front and back forming a pocket in the brass plate that the truck foot snuggly sits in
Rub the top and bottom of the brass plate on some emery to polish it up and trial fit to the rail in the oss
Remove the crimped end of each cable
Remove the old plastic end (and curse the cheapskate who designed such a piece of garbage) clean flux and tin the last 10mm of the cable
Fit the brass end. Tin the brass nipple, slide nipple onto cable and solder together
Re fit cable to truck and assemble in the rail
Give it a good slide around and lubricate. It should feel nice and free to move with just the cable friction in play
Set trucks to exactly the same place to synchronise the cables and attach the motor
Wind hand crack and watch the front trucks move back and forth
Fit rear trucks and assemble back fixed glass to the oss rails
Wind to suitable positions and fit back then front oss glass panels
Close and adjust the panel fit
Power with motor. Drink

Is this a simple diy job - certainly not but it is doable if you have some engineering know how
Cheers Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one Paul, but the official Audi repair plates are only £58 per pair, I can’t help thinking you spent more than £58 on your time!
We have done 7 of these now, we had to scrap 2 as they were too far gone, you obviously have a good one but it’s not always just a case of repairing the cable ends. Many have been bent beyond recognition from forcing the glass shut, some of the ‘trucks’ have needed replacement due to wear. This is why you need the top of an A2 roof to use as a jig to keep everything aligned as below. A working roof without this jig does not necessarily translate to a working roof on the car as it can twist once in position.

20180715_205924.jpg

Also, before you put the roof back you need to drill out the old rivets from the cable housing, the part the motor sits on. Replace the rivets (we use 3mm stainless steel pop rivets) whilst clamping the housing to keep it tight. Add some extra rivets whilst you’re there.
The housing will just fall apart from use if you do not do this, the motor will then start slipping on the cables. This is one of the main reasons that OSS’s fail

We have done 7 of these now...
7? I'm intrigued! My OSS failed last year, the N/S cable "snapped." Currently trying to figure out how to get it working again without having to sell a kidney. Any and all advice appreciated.
@Paul, really impressive work, wish that I had the capability to tackle that sort of work.

7? I'm intrigued! My OSS failed last year, the N/S cable "snapped." Currently trying to figure out how to get it working again without having to sell a kidney. Any and all advice appreciated.
@Paul, really impressive work, wish that I had the capability to tackle that sort of work.
Yes, 7, including my own twice, if you're interested, I offer repairs as a service for the lowest prices I can possibly offer, the thread is called "Service Offered: OSS Repair" if you want more info, or drop me a PM.

Adam

From all the reviews, all those customers are very happy too :) Keep up the good work Ian/Son

Yes, 7, including my own twice, if you're interested, I offer repairs as a service for the lowest prices I can possibly offer, the thread is called "Service Offered: OSS Repair" if you want more info, or drop me a PM.
Adam
Thanks Adam, I'm not as active on the forum anymore so this had completely passed me by. I would 100% be interested in getting the roof repaired, potentially the Full Refurb as that feels like the more sensible option.
I'll PM tonight, glad that I logged in today :)
P.S. sorry to derail the thread Paul.

Before my breaker goes to the A2 heaven, it has a broken OSS on it, so if anybody wants to come and take it, in readiness for it to be fixed (as Depronman has done) then swapping it all out, then please get in touch. Failing that, I will have at least the motor going available for £50.

Can you create a market place ad for this please Clackers..... that way it won't get lost in this thread....Cheers , Dave.

Back