Mystery under the 'boot' floor!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prycop

Just bought an A2 (used 2001 TDi SE).
First suprise no spare Wheel!!! - what do you do if a tyre rips or has a hole larger than 6mm?

Anyway - under the 'boot' mat the compartment has all the usual wheel brace, screwdriver, jack etc (why without a spare i don't know!) there's the puncture repair canister and also the compresor. The battery is also there - when looking down at the compartment to the right of the battery is a large, heavy looking rectangular object covered in grey polystyrene type stuff, it's loose, but I can't remove it and has it's own compatment - what is it?

Anyone?

Mmmm... the spare wheel's been a common thread on here, especially as Audi want £150 for the collapsable spacesaver wheel! I assume they think that if the tyre has a big hole in it, you will call Audi assistance for help, of course thats OK if you are still covered.

Your object, is it just to the right of the battery, and are there wires on the top side of it? As I think that's where the Sat Nav CD-Rom lives, but I might be wrong as I haven't got one.

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

Mine is not covered in polystyrene but yes, that is where the CD player lives for the Sat Nav

and iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Thanks for the messages

Regarding the spare wheel - where would they put it if it was bought seperatly?

As to the mysterious box shaped object - the car doesn't have Sat Nav so it can't be that, doesn't look like a CD either.

I'm going to nip out and take a photo of it - i assume that i can then post an imagei nto this thread?

Thanks again

Geraint

Managed to get the photos - the link below takes you to the photo a red arrow points to the mysterious box.

The 'box' is covered with the dark grey polystyrine type stuff that is also aroung the tools. It feels solid as if there is metal inside somewhere.
The top is stamped with the Audi logo, some clock type date stamps and a long serial number.
It's loose as i can shake it back and forth but seems to be connected underneath as i cant lift it out????????

http://www.abersoch-gwynedd.freeserve.co.uk/Mystery1.jpg

or a closer look....
http://www.abersoch-gwynedd.freeserve.co.uk/mystery2.jpg

Thanks again

Geraint

prycop

Just looked at your photos and that area is where the satnav cd-rom unit would normally live. Even if your A2 doesn't have the factory fit satnav, Audi still leave the DIN siz cage in there (and probably some of the wiring too!). It's just a black square plastic box. If you really want you could fit a DIN size CD changer but that's more work!.

I've not seen this area covered before-in my A2 I used to be able to use the satnav cd-rom holder to store carrier bags in case I need some!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

PRYCOP - I've got the same item in the tray under the boor floor. I also have no CD so its a mystery! I have however removed mine - its only held in by double sided tape on the bottom. What I can't work out is why is it so heavy and cased in polystyerene if its only used to 'blank off' a hole? Let me know what you come up with

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

Thanks to all for yor comments - for a while yesterday i thought I had an extra goodie in the boot unmentioned by the seller!

I'll have a go at removing it when i get in this evening - better to have storage space there than carry heavy ballast!

On my A2 that area contains a metal frame for the sat nav to fit into. It looks like they have started to fill this space with foam instead. Makes sense really !

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

Yes quite right - i removed the 'box' today. As mentioned it was held in place with double sided tape!
Seems like a polystyrene type brick made of heavy plastic - kept it just in case - handy cubby hole now!!

That space was empty in my car. So I'm using it to store the towrope there.

Martin

I'll check our car.

We have SatNav Plus, and the CD for that is in the dash. So it may only be used if you have the 'basic' SatNav (no screen).

Dave

1.6SE

See the picture I took on the link in my signature... I also store things there! Interesting what you say on the SatNav Plus Dave... and it is quite clear in the brochure that the CD sits at the top! Never thought of that... must be for the monochrome sat nav then...

Dave: is the SatNav plus any good? I feel the screen is too low to safely look at... that is why I went the iPAQ route that has it mounted higher up and in my line of sight... see link in my signature... Is is easy programmable, does it re-route fast enough? I heard that CD based sat nav systems are slow to react and espacially to work out a new route when you deviate... Apparently DVD satnav is brilliant... must say mine runs from the 128meg flash card is perfectly fast...

_______________________________________________________________________________________
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

and iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

The screen just makes programming the thing much more easy. On the move you don't tend to use it as a driver.

In use the dahboard pictograms and voice commands are what you actually use, and I think they are very good. It responds to re-routes very quickly, and this was one of the tests I tried out before purchasing. If you know 'roughly' which way you need to go it will re-route accordingly.

Only annoying thing is that when in Navigate mode you lose the DIS functions - unless someone can prove me wrong. And of course its very expensive. We're also waiting for a CD disc that will work with the TMC codes (congestion info) broadcast on Classic FM - I think this involves Audi licensing it in some way (like Toyota/Lexus).

DVD version is in the new A8, and I assume it will roll out across the 'new' A6 and maybe even A3.

Dave

1.6SE

Had a look in the underfloor of our car and the top most box is present and is marked with a GPS (Satellite) symbol - so I guess its the GP receiver. It was also quite warm.

Below this was a light grey plastic box - any idea what this is ?

Dave

1.6SE

The inflatable co-pilot (Airplane style)....!!!!???

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

That compartment was empty in my a2, i use it to store a flask of oil.

I would remove it and take a good look at it !! Doesn't look a thing like satnav since that would need a cd slot...

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Dennis,

In Sat Nav Plus the CD is in the dash (slot just above screen).
In normal Sat Nav (no TV screen) it might be in the boot, perhaps next to the GPS receiver. Anyone got this and can can check ?

Dave

1.6SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back