Nasty Burst coolant pipe photos

Birdfish

Hi Guy's,

just thought I'd share these photos I took of that nasty coolant pipe that bursts at the back of the engine when in it's position.

For all those who haven't had this nasty plastic pipe replaced you must do so when you are working on the water pump or at the back of the engine, it will save you a fortune!

Cheers

Doug

P1030659.jpgP1030660.jpgP1030667.jpg

Ive got my inlet manifold of at the moment and will definitely be replacing that pipe now ive seen your pictures. Where did you get your from?

Do you have the part number?

Is it different for the 90 than it is for the 75? I have a 75

I'm having the cambelt done in couple of weeks and I will be looking to have this done at the same time.

Hi Guy's,

just thought I'd share these photos I took of that nasty coolant pipe that bursts at the back of the engine when in it's position.

For all those who haven't had this nasty plastic pipe replaced you must do so when you are working on the water pump or at the back of the engine, it will save you a fortune!

Cheers

Doug

View attachment 24503View attachment 24504View attachment 24505

I was stupid enough to buy it from Arnold Clark and paid £49 quid for it, I needed it immediately as it was a Friday and wanted it done before the start of the week, by the way that didn't happen so wasted my money really.

You can get it online for £9 from ebay etc.

Cheers!

I can't comment on the TDi question, but this happened on my 1.6FSi Sport around 2 years ago - at first I couldn't even see where the water was leaking from as pipe is so well hidden..
Anyway, Audi book price at the time was (I'm 99% sure about this) £350 which considering the aggravation involved seem good value - I took the quote to my local Audi/VW independent and they said they would do it for £250, so I went with them - the guys (as you need two people to do this properly as one end goes into the back of the water pump and the other the thermostat housing) said it was a Bas****d of a job and would think twice about doing another one without charging a lot lot more.
Everything was good for about a year, then the upper heater pipe (which had not been re-positioned back to where it was following them dismantling / re assembling the pipework to get at the thermostat housing - I hadn't spotted this) rubbed through against the inlet manifold. Make totally sure this doesn't happen to you! as the heater pipes are yet another Bas****d job to get at.....

I replaced both when I did the engine/gearbox swap last week and noticed the design has changed - they now bend further away for the manifold, so Audi must have realised this was common point of failure.

Brett kindly pointed me to the German A2 site where there is a good write up (in German) with pictures where the pipe was replaced from below following the Oil separator being removed.

HTH

Last edited:
Back